Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Vibrator Arrived!

Yes!  I received the vibrating box, with the vibrating pillow, minus the batteries.  It took twice as long to get here, after spending a month traveling cross country.  Or maybe, it arrived on the East Coast in the week or so it should have taken, but they decided to try out the pillow for a few days before sending it on its way.  Either way, I'm glad to have it.

Speaking of vibrators, while I was waiting for a prescription to be filled, I was invited to try out a massaging insert that you lay on a chair or car seat.  Oh my goodness, I was in vibrating, massage heaven.  Those of you who know me, know that I'm not usually fond of massages.  Maybe because it wasn't a person doing the rolling and rubbing, I was cool with it.  The only reason I didn't walk out with it is because the pharmacy's debit machine wasn't online.  It was late and I wasn't up for searching for an ATM.  The fact that I could put it in Luther and get a massage on the way to work, was a real selling point, though.

I'm having chicken soup tonight.  I needed the hot broth to settle my stomach.  I had some local food that I think is the culprit of my discomfort.  I haven't found many local dishes that are appetizing.  Probably why I'm cooking more than I have in decades.

There are a lot of Mom & Pop restaurants, but few are appealing.  If the UAE had the same health food system of green, yellow, and red placards in the window of eating establishments like California does, with the red meaning the place needs to be shut down, I'm guessing most of the places here would be orange.  Meaning, they really need to be condemned with a red card indicating that, but somehow they pass inspection, hence the orange.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

One of the sights I find most interesting, is seeing the laborers having lunch breaks where they sit in a circle facing each other.  Meals are communal in that sense.  In the literal sense, too, as many of the local dishes are served on huge platters and everyone eats from that.

I read a fascinating article in the paper recently of a young Emirate man who was born here but was raised in the US.  After being away for years, with limited knowledge of the culture or language, he wondered how he would be received when he arrived.  One of the local customs is to have huge gatherings of family and friends - old and new - to share meals and catch up.  He attended these and was pleasantly surprised at how gracious everyone was and instead of being ostracized for his differences, many asked questions of his experiences and welcomed him with open arms.

According to this guy, the rulers of the country still have these gatherings and make it a point to meet with "the people" often so that they are hearing from them directly about how things are going in their lives.  He believes that's why the satisfaction index is so high in this country.

Again, I just read today that most of the folks who work for the government are getting 25%-100% raises because of the increased revenue from the sale of oil. Everyone benefits from the wealth, which is why there will never be a coup here.

I haven't been home long, but it's already bedtime.  I leave for school at 6:00 in the morning, arriving at 6:30.  The boys get there at 7:00 for assembly, with the girls arriving at 7:45.  I don't like feeling rushed in the morning, hence my early departure time.

So, In-shal-la (God willing),  I'll write more soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment