Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Encouragement

I was listening to someone talking about how important it is to help others and oftentimes the way to do that is through encouragement.

Sometimes that looks like greeting people pleasantly, complementing folks who do a good job, or telling someone its going to be OK.

I see encouragement a lot in schools with teachers interacting positively with kids, telling them they can do it or acknowledging a good job.

We all need encouragement from time to time.  No matter how strong we are, or how independent we've become, its still important to hear that you're doing OK or that this too shall pass and everything will be alright.

It's amazing what a kind word or a friendly response will do to brighten someone's day.

Conversely, when we are negative and finding fault, it can do much to damage someone's self-esteem or confidence.  Especially in kids.

So often, when a teacher believes in a student, even when that kid doesn't believe in his/her self, that teacher's confidence in them can help to launch them on the right path.

On the other hand, when a teacher blames her students for her inadequacies, it produces a ripple effect of failure.  Heaven forbid if a child has this kind of teacher for consecutive years.  The damage can be irreversible.

Likewise, when a parent only sees the glass half empty, always complaining and only seeing the negative, it can have a lasting effect.

I pride myself on having good judgement when it comes to people.  But sometimes, I miss the mark.  Sometimes, especially if it's a negative encounter, I quickly pass judgement and move on.  I'm now beginning to stop and think . . . what's their story?  Why are they the way they are?  How can I help to change the course of a bad day?

A smile.  A friendly hello.  Remembering to thank them for their service, even when its subpar.  These are things I'm striving to do on a regular basis.

I'm hoping that encounters with me will leave folks wanting more, not running for the hills.

Forgive me for being a little preachy.  That's not my intent.  This message is for me, most of all.



No comments:

Post a Comment