Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Rain & Amazon & A Story Before Bed

The weather was really crazy today.  High winds.  Lots of blowing sand.  And the threat of rain.

This was a big deal because it rarely rains here.  The official word is four days of rain annually.  Just the threat of the possibility of rain caused the kids to get super excited.  Reminded me of snow in the South in the US.  Incredibly rare and when we saw it, it was a huge deal.

Same thing, but for the rain.

Just discovered -

An amazing app for my phone.  It is for the city of Dubai and it includes GPS Coordinates.  Remember, there are no street addresses in this country, which make finding places pretty colorful.  This app includes a map and when you press down anywhere on the map, it gives your GPS Coordinates.  Genius!

Started this yesterday.

Today is Friday.  The beginning of my weekend.

I stopped writing last night to chat on the phone with friends back in Sacramento. What a treat that was!  By the time I got off the phone, I was too tired to think.

So . . .

Another fun discovery before I left the US was lighted eyeglasses.  They have little light bulbs in the outside corner of the frames that you can turn on when you need extra light, or you're reading at night, or maybe on the airplane.  I found them at the Rite Aide Pharmacy in Sacramento, but Amazon has them, too.  Go to Amazon and search for "lighted eyeglasses."

OK.

Confession.

I love Amazon.

I know there have been issues with squeezing out other bookstores, but you can't beat the service, or the price.

But that's just it. Amazon is so much more than a bookstore.

I couldn't find Season Salt here.

Yep.  Got it from Amazon.

Vitamins.

Check.

Clothes and accessories.

Check.

Computer stuff.

Check.

Hardware.

That, too.

Since I discovered Shop and Ship, I can shop directly from Amazon and it is delivered to me in less than a week.

I could go on and on, but you get my drift.

Yes.  Amazon should pay me for this endorsement, but it speaks volumes that this is unsolicited praise.

And now for my final discovery -

"A Story Before Bed" Website.  I can't remember if I've shared this or not, so here goes.

This website, www.astorybeforebed.com, allows you to record from a library of over 500 books, and email the recording of you reading to whoever you choose.  I record books for my girl, Zadie, emailing the link to both her Mom and Dad.  They can open the email everywhere, at anytime, allowing Zadie to hear the story and see me reading it.  The books are at all levels from babies to big kids.

It's another great way to keep in touch.

Speaking of keeping in touch, have I told you lately how much I appreciate you keeping in touch with me by reading my blog?

Know that I'm forever grateful that you're taking this ride with me.

Your blogging buddy








No comments:

Post a Comment