Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Solo on the Blue Route

It's really cool today.

I'm awake early, as usual.

I make coffee, check my emails, and get some reading done.

About 8:30 I get dressed and head downhill.  I'm traveling alone today, and I appreciate the solitude.

The cafe has wi-fi, so I get online using my phone. Oh, how I miss having the Internet at my disposal.

I decide to take the second of the two Big Bus Tours.

I stopped at the first stop, the Waterfront, which is a tourist Mecca, and hung out there for a while.  Then I hopped back on the bus and we headed out to ride the water's edge of this lustrous shoreline.



Water Front

Guys singing on the Water Front

Statue made out of Coke crates


The views were breathtaking.  Reminded me of the Northern California Coastline, with its rocky boulders, and crashing waves.



Picture taken on Robben Island looking toward Cape Town


Everything was so lush and green.



Table Mountain - up close;
The cable car station is that square figure on top




Luscious green mountainside


Vineyards are big here, and the neat rows of grape vines line one of the mountainsides.  I know that neither I, nor my camera, could capture this incredible site.  It is stunning.



Mountainside vineyards


We then passed by a botanical garden, a bird sanctuary, and a stately university that is home to a recent Nobel Prize winner.

We traveled on the outskirts of exclusive neighborhoods, which were a stone's throw from a neighborhood of shanty towns.  The contrast was striking.



Shanty Town, a section of Cape Town


Side note - I really like these Big Bus Tours.  They're a great way to see an overview of the city with all of the highlights pointed out through the narrations coming from the headsets that are in at least a dozen different languages.  It's like having your own personal guide.  You can hop on and off at any of the stops to check things out close up if you want to.  Brilliant idea.

Side note 2 - The sound of R& B Music is everywhere . . . In the cafes, in every other store in the malls.  Even the street musicians mix their African beats with R & B.  Our music transcends borders and continents.

The people are charming here.  Friendly, warm, and helpful.  They're representing the Motherland really well.

Side note 3 - I seem to be a diva magnet.  Which always baffles me.  I am the most down-to- earth person you'll ever meet.  I'm a straight shooter.  And yet, somehow, divas find their way in my world.  You know, the ones who need special pillows or they can't sleep.  The ones who demand sushi when all you want is a burger.  Or the ones who can't lift a finger to get anything done that they feel is "beneath" their self-proclaimed stature in the world.

Really???

Thankfully, I escaped this lesson in becoming a woman.

Maybe being raised with only brothers, or only having sons, or having a no nonsense Mom, or coming from a really small, country town, all helped me to escape this plight.  Whatever the reason, I'm so glad I did.

Being a diva is exhausting.  Just ask everyone around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment