Search This Blog

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!

Here's hoping that you all are having a wonderful holiday celebration.

Today was the first day back to work after our two weeks of Spring Break.  I had to be reminded that it was Easter because its not on our calendars.  I'm sure it was celebrated by all of the ex-pats at the local Christian Churches, but I haven't been to church since I first arrived and was searching for one.

Random thoughts -

I've noticed at each break, the stores have huge Back-to-School sales.  Kind of like what we have in late August, but they have them throughout the year.  They had one in December before we returned in January, and there was a big one last week in time for our return to school this week.

Most of the school supplies - backpacks, binders and notebooks - have American characters on them.  Like Hello Kitty, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Sesame Street characters, etc.

Also, when I was in Cape Town and visited my teacher who lived there, her son was watching American sitcoms on TV.  As I mentioned before, there was American music, particularly R & B, that was piped in most public places and spaces.

Our cultural influences - good or bad - touch every corner of the globe.

Instant communication via news alerts on my phone and computer, keep me abreast of the happenings back home.  In fact, there was a shooting at the local courthouse back home in Texas, and I heard about it before my brothers, one of whom was only a block away.

The Internet is my lifeline to the world.

Interestingly, a huge number of websites are blocked here.  We get around that by downloading a program before we arrive that uses servers outside of this country. This has been a tremendous help.  Of course, you have to do it before you arrive or when you're on holiday because the site that you would download it from, is also blocked.

I'd love to be in on the conversations deciding what's blocked and what isn't.

That reminds me of the meds here.  I'm sure I mentioned that antidepressants are very strictly controlled, whereas most antibiotics are over-the-counter.  The migraine med, Imitrex, is also over the counter. There is in fact, a whole laundry list of drugs that are absolutely forbidden.  Some of which are our common cold meds.

Fascinating, really.

I didn't sleep well last night.  I rarely do when we're going back after a break.  So, it's off to bed for me.

Good morning to you.  Goodnight to me.

Happy Easter!





No comments:

Post a Comment