Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hot! Hot! Hot!

When I ventured out this morning, I was taken aback by how warm hot it was outside.  My guess that it was near triple digits was confirmed by my weather app. It was 103.  Every day this week will be over 100, with the highest expected to be 106.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this.

It's times like these that we really thank God for air conditioning in every building and in Luther (my car).

I'm told it hovers around 120 the month of July.  My plan is to be far, far away.

Thankfully, once I enter my school building, I don't go outside again until I'm leaving for home.  Actually, when I don't feel like taking the long route through the building, I can cut across the courtyard.  In this heat, the long way will seem like a breeze compared to the oven outdoors.

Random thoughts -

Homes/apartments/villas do not have dishwashers or closets.  You can find closets, but I've yet to see a dishwasher.  Most folks have maids/nannies/cooks, and I'm guessing they take care of the dishes.

You can't find a crock pot either.  I've considered getting one from the US, but I fear the electrical outlet difference would be an issue.  Some things work great with adaptors, others don't.

Interestingly, you can find all kinds of deep fryers.  Who knew there was a market for that?

A cool thing  . . .

Every time there is activity on my bank cards, I get an instant text message, saying what occurred and where it happened.  For example, if I buy a coffee at Starbucks, it will say "Your card ending in XXXX was used at Starbucks in Al Jimi Mall."  There is also a message letting me know when there is a direct deposit.  Great service!

I very recently figured out how to use my washer/dryer combo where it doesn't take three or four hours to complete a load.  There is a 30 minute option that washes only.  I then hang up the clothes and they're dried in no time.  This discovery was made when I read the manual.

Note to self . . . read manuals FIRST.

I'm tickled pink . . .

About a new iPhone app.  It's called "SayHi."  When you speak, it translates what you say, verbally and in writing.  It's new and didn't have Arabic.  I updated it a day or so later, and you guessed it, they had added it.  I can't wait to try it with my Arab sisters tomorrow.

Two more apps I love . . .

PackingPro which list all of the things you need to travel with and things you need to do before you leave.  You can check them off as you get things done.

Skyscanner shows you flight costs to dozens of cities around the world on one page.

OK.  One more.

World Clock.  Shows the time around the world.  When it's night time, that part of the map is shaded; when it's daytime, it's not.  I'm contacting folks in three different time zones back home, so this helps me keep track.

I have a reference letter/form to fill out for one of my teachers, so I'd better get to it. It's that time of the school year when folks are making plans for next year.

So . . . Here's wishing you a great day.

Good morning to you.  Good night to me.










1 comment:

  1. Hey Faye... you should try "viggle" you know I am not a iPhone user or much of a TV watcher, but this app "pays" you to watch TV. Apparently it is quite simple, you "check in" to a show you watch accumulate points and then in an instant you have earned gift cards to iTunes or Starbucks or you can save for big prizes!

    ReplyDelete