Search This Blog

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man

This is the name of Steve Harvey's book and the newly released movie based on it. I read the book and can't wait to see the movie.

Side note - The movie, The Avengers opened here last week, the same day as in the US.  I have absolutely no desire to see it, and can pretty much guarantee that I won't be trekking to the theater for this one.  I wished the powers that be had asked me which movie to release first.  The Avengers would have been way down the list.

Now, back to the book/movie.

I've got the second half of that title down pat - there's no doubt - I think like a guy. I'm sure this is due in large part to being raised in a household with three brothers, and no sisters.

The first part, acting like a lady, is what I'm always working on.

For years, I was Mom and Dad to my boys.  As such, I felt that I had to be tough to keep them in line.  Although many folks raise wonderful kids without going that route, this was the journey I chose, for better or worse.

I found it hard turning off the toughness, so I tended to be rough around the edges all the time.

Nothing ladylike about that.

One of these days I'm going to query Ben and Frankie about their take on the whole "growing up" experience.  I'm guessing it's still pretty fresh in their minds.  To be safe, I think I'll wait a few more years to get their thoughts on the matter. I'll probably wait until after they've experienced fatherhood for a while.  I'm guessing that will help soften their thinking, although I still think therapy would be helpful for all of us.

Anyway . . .

I feel so fortunate to have had my brothers' guidance in the matters of the heart. Forrest was especially helpful because he could always cut to the chase and read someone faster than they could say their name.  Nine times out of ten, he was right on the money, too.  As a result of his guidance in dealing with guys, I was able to navigate those waters pretty well.  Some might say too well, as it's been more than a decade since my last date.

Pick up your jaw up off the table.  It's all good.

Maybe I'll go into more details later, but at the very least, it's a few lines in a posting for another day.

I didn't/don't like typical girlie things, like shopping and hanging out with other girls.  I was always much more comfortable with guys.  I'd take an afternoon of roughhousing with guys any day over the cattiness that is too often present with a group of women get together.

So, I continue to work on softening my edges and acting like a lady, so that the number of folks I scare, gets smaller and smaller every day.

Of course, I'm always ready to blast anyone who rubs me the wrong way, but as I get older, I'm blasting less and less.

It's nice to know old age is good for something.






No comments:

Post a Comment