Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Leadership Styles

When I think of leaders, and the many different styles of leadership, I'm reminded of sports.  I think coaches provide great examples of the different ways of leading folks to success.

There is the Bill Parcell Style.  Loud.  Boisterous.  Confrontational.  In your face. Leading by intimidation.

There is the John Wooden Style.  Reserved.  Dignified.  Master of executing the basics to perfection.  Always the teacher.

Then there is the Tony Dungy Style.  Quiet.  Thoughtful.  Master of attention to detail.  And above all, respectful, of the game and his players.

I chose these three because, although the styles were varied, the end result was the same.  They were all winners.

So for the leader who rides, intimidates, embarrasses, humiliates and harasses, he/she continues to do that when they are winning with that strategy.  Their theory - Don't fix it if it isn't broke.

But for the leader who chooses to lead with dignity, humility, collaboration, and respect, he/she must win to prove to everyone that being kind doesn't mean being weak or ineffective.  I think, in many ways, this one is harder.

Here's why.

This coach/leader is in the minority.  That alone can be daunting.  The rule of thumb is coaches/leaders need to be tough to get the desired results.  This thoughtful approach dares proving because it goes against the grain.  Folks, by nature, tend to give this kind of coach/leader a shorter time to prove their worth.  Positive results need to happen fast.

I'm embarrassed to say that many times my style closely resembled the Coach Parcell Style. Thankfully, that was short-lived.  I hope it was anyway.  My staffs may think otherwise.

As I've grown in leadership positions, I've strived to emulate the style of the leader I had the great pleasure of working for.  Someone who was fair and reasonable. Someone who never asked her staff to do anything she wasn't also willing to do. Someone who helped to bring out the best in me.  Someone who was supportive, providing all of the resources we needed (that was in the good old days), but then expected us to do our best, and give our best.

Have I always succeeded in leading this way?  Absolutely not.

Do I always try?  Yes.  On most days anyway.

I think treating people with respect, is the most effective trait of an effective leader.

Unfortunately, our landscape is littered with bully leaders.  Here's hoping the tide turns in the other direction.  Soon.  But if the bully leader keeps winning, the wait will probably be a long one.




No comments:

Post a Comment