Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2012

Last Minute

When the boys were growing up, Ben was always very punctual in every thing he did.  All of his assignments were turned in on time and often early.  He was always on time for events, sporting and otherwise.

Frankie, on the other hand, was perpetually late.  He would have his buddies fax over his assignments because he would loose his somewhere between school and home.  He always waited until the last minute to do his work.

Last night, when I started working on something that was due today, and I knew about it months ago, I knew then that Frankie is just like his momma.

I take back all those times I nagged him to do his work.

He would say he worked better under pressure.  Did he hear me use that excuse?

Oh, the things we pass on to our kids.  So much of which I wish I could take back.

Frankie hated homework.  Me too.

He would say - Momma, you know I know how to do it.  The teacher knows I know how to do it, so why do I have to do it?

He made a great point, but who cared?  He had work to do and all this lollygagging wasn't getting it done.

Round and round we would go.

Would I have dealt with him differently if I recognized he was just like me years ago?  Or, did I nag him because I "sensed" he was like me and I wanted him to be better?

Do we ever get to the point where we stop second-guessing our parenting skills?






No comments:

Post a Comment