Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Bon Appetit!

My cooking is . . . delicious.

Never thought I'd be writing those words about my time in the kitchen, but I've been surprising myself at my culinary skills.  It was a victory if I could eat what I cooked, but I've progressed to it actually tasting good.

I'm making a stew.  Over the break I made a big pot of spaghetti and froze it in lunch-size containers which I bought to school each day last week.  It was great having something homemade to eat, so I thought I'd do it again this week.

In the US you can find the dry seasoning packets for making stew.  Here, no.  The closest thing I found called for adding peanut butter to the mix.  Yep.  Peanut butter. I decided to ad lib and use the regular seasonings I could find and recognize. Thankfully, it turned out great.

Side note - I just discovered a wonderful website where you can read from hundreds of children's books and email it to the special little ones in your world.  The website is www.AStoryBeforeBed.com.  There's a deal on Zulily (www.zulily.com) today offering half off the annual price.  You can try it out free.  I just recorded a story for Zadie.  She'll be able to see me reading it to her.  This will be great for me and others who live far away from loved ones.  I know.  I should get a commission from the company, but this is too good not to share.

Side note 2 - Really enjoying video chat in gmail.  I just talked to my brother Forrest for a while and with the video, it was like we were chillin' in each other's home, basking in each other's company.  Tomorrow we're planning for our oldest brother, Willie, to join us, so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm going to end early today so that I can get some thank you notes written to the salesmen who sold me my car.  It really was a terrific experience, better than in the US.  Although the last car I bought in the US was purchased online.  The new one was driven to my house and they drove my old car away as trade-in.  That was a wonderful experience, but the last time I was in a showroom looking into buying a car, I didn't care for that at all.  The pressure.  The sleaziness.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I'm loving everything about Luther.  The whole experience, from the moment I walked into the showroom until the day I picked up my guy, was spectacular.

Wishing you the best . . . always.

Your blogging buddy.



2 comments:

  1. hmmm. Frank and Ben came by our home in SF one time and brought us an amazing sweet potato pie that I thought they said was from your recipe? I just assumed it was your great cooking that inspired them to make that pie.

    B-t-w, we watched "Death at a Funeral" (the British version as you recommended). I can't remember a movie that ever had me laughing that hard. Loved it.

    Your SF pen pal,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed the movie. It's one of my all-time favorites.

    My mother was not a good cook, but she was a terrific baker. Her sweet potato pies and cinnamon rolls were mouth-wateringly good.

    Like Mom, I'm better at baking than cooking.

    My ex-husband is a terrific cook. It's because of him that Ben & Frankie survived their childhood. They had a reprieve from my cooking when he was home.

    Thanks for commenting. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete