Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Venetian Cafe

My liquor store buddy contacted me last night, needing some help today. Thankfully, she received her passport, so now she could get a post office box and look into getting a car.  Not much happens here without your passport.

On my way to her place, I made a stop at the bank to pick up something.

Side note - Everyone in this country gets their mail at the post office.  Most folks use the main one because you have access to your box at all times, day or night, and the office stays open til 8:00pm.

For whatever reason, the banks require that you pick up things in person, as opposed to mailing it out.  I had been by this particular branch three times before today trying to get what I needed and it was closed each time. It takes "bankers hours" to a whole new level.

I had a lot to do today, so I raced out of the house and didn't eat anything.  Although there are Starbucks here, I've only seen them in the malls, so they don't open early like in the US.  I drove around for a few minutes looking for someplace to grab a bite to eat, but had no luck.  I ended up going back home, eating, then going out again.

As we were winding down our lists of things to do, my buddy noticed a cafe across the street from the post office.  We walked over and were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was.  Large, spacious, but great little tucked away areas if you wanted more privacy.  We were greeted by the owner when we walked in and he  knew that we were first timers.  He was very friendly and outgoing.  As the conversation progressed, he mentioned that he was Egyptian.  The two car salesmen I dealt with were also Egyptian.  They, too, were kind and pleasant.

Me at the Venetian Cafe

Side note 2 - Visiting Egypt is on my bucket list.  These guys make me want to move it to the top.

Side note 3 - I was looking for some Arabic children's book on writing the alphabet. You remember, Arabic is read right to left, so books are bound on the right side. When you pick one up, you're reading it from back to front.  I didn't notice this until I was flipping through one.  It throws everything you learned about the printed word out the window.

Side note 4 - I also bought a copy of the Holy Quran.  I'm curious to know more about it.  Don't fret.  I'm not expecting any conversion anytime soon.  Just want to satisfy a hunger to learn more.  The Arab world is immersed in Islam.  I think it would help in understanding why things are done they way they are, if you have a better understanding of their guide book.

I really need to go to bed now, but I think I may watch a little TV.

What fun thing are you doing today?








No comments:

Post a Comment