Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Oasis Hospital


Oasis Hospital - "Our Mission is to provide an international standard of quality healthcare and services to the communities we serve while representing the compassion and love of Jesus Christ."

I was at the hospital again today - another three hours spent there after work - and I noticed scriptures from the Bible posted in prominent places.  I was really surprised to see them.  They were all over the building.  When I was leaving, I noticed the mission statement  that I opened with above, and although that explained the scriptures, I was still curious as to how a Christian hospital came to be in a Muslim country. According to the info on the web, it was founded at the invitation of the residing Sheikh in 1960.  

Side note - This is the hospital that is host to all of the different church services. Now I see the connection between the hospital and the churches.

This is the second day in a row that as I was waiting to be seen, my named was called, but I was in the wrong waiting area, or they mispronounced my name so badly that I didn't recognize it.  Either way, I was treated as a "no show" and they moved on to the next patient.  Hence, the long wait.

When I finally got in to see the doctor, he was pleasant and helpful.  I was there just to get some medication renewed.  It was very interesting that one of the drugs - routinely prescribed in the US - is considered a serious narcotic here.  I got a 90 day supply when I left the US, but here, the doctor I saw today could only prescribe three days' worth.  Three pills.  I have to go back tomorrow to see another doctor who is authorized to prescribe a month's supply.  

Also interesting - the package sent to me had some over the counter meds that were confiscated by the customs officer so they could be examined by a doctor.  Thankfully, I was able to pick them up today.

How did the customs folks know about the meds, you ask?  They were declared on the custom forms that have to be submitted with each package coming in or going out of the country.  In addition, the custom officer opened the package and exams the contents.  I don't know if this happens to boxes going the other way.

Side note 2 -  By the time I got home at 6:30pm (I leave for work at 6:00 am), there were no parking spots on the street, so I had to park in the parking garage.  As I drove in, I saw a young black girl sitting on a curb in the garage.  I thought that was strange until I heard the music and saw the women.  Loud, blaring music.  I looked up and there were about 20 women doing Zumba Fitness Dancing.  They were working it!  They were doing a funky line dance the few minutes I watched.  I recognized one of them as one of my teachers.  I spoke with her later and she invited me to join them.  Maybe.

I still have to send a few emails and memorialize a meeting, so that's it for today.

OK.  Just one more thing - I found out late this afternoon that I need to be in Abu Dhabi tomorrow for a morning meeting.  So off to the big city I go.






No comments:

Post a Comment