Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

Trek to Abu Dhabi

I got on the road about 10:00am heading to Abu Dhabi.  There ere a couple of things I needed to take care of that required the trip.  It's the first time I've been back since my arrival in Al Ain.

I was pressed for time, so I didn't stop to take pictures, but I saw some of the most amazing sand dunes, as big and as high as the mountains.  Beautiful mounds of fine, golden sand.

Also evident were some of the roundabouts that I missed seeing on the way in because we arrived at night. One in particular was whimsical.  It looked like bubbles - white and green bubbles - seemingly floating in the air.  Inviting and playful.

The roundabouts are really public art that reflects the culture and the country.  Each one tells a story.  It's sometimes challenging grasping the story when you're on a mission to just get through it.  But with a little time and attention, going through them is a real treat.

Stopped by the internet provider's kiosk in the mall.  There were five people working with two customers.  The man ahead of me was being helped, which left four others available.  There was no acknowledgement, but after about 10-15 minutes, I was helped.

Same thing in the bank.  I stopped by to get a copy of my bank statement.  Four people were working, with three people available most of that time.  I tried on four different occasions to get help, only to be told it would be another minute.  It took 45 minutes.

Expect things to take a while and be pleasantly surprised when they don't.  That's my thinking from now on.

I had a fascinating conversation with an Arab gentleman who is from Egypt.  We were talking about how Arabs are still sometime given a double take because of 9/11. What was interesting was his take on the mosque that was proposed very near Ground Zero.  He said, "Why there?  What was the purpose or rationale for putting it there other than to incite tension?"  I was surprised by this, and appreciative of his perspective.

I was lamenting to this same man that it was taking some effort to get things done, and he said that in Egypt, you are expected to pay to get things done.  Bribes were not only expected, but encouraged.  On the down low, of course.  So, once he shared that, I changed my tune about the UAE.

Perspective makes a difference.

Planning to get started on another book.  In fiction, the beginning of a book is my least favorite part.  You're trying to figure out who's who and what's what. Sometimes it takes me a minute to "get it."  Once I figure all that out, I'm good to go, but getting there is colorful.

Today is Sandra's birthday.  She was a classmate from elementary through high school.  I haven't seen or spoken to her in 37 years.  Funny the random things that stay with you, right?

Keep forgetting to mention that gas is $1.63 a gallon.

Going to drink some tea and call it a night.

More soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment