Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

FRUSTRATION

Today was the most challenging yet.  I'm hoping this is as hard as it gets.

Four teachers were absent, which means twenty-four periods had to be covered. It took over a dozen teachers to fill the slots because No emirate teacher will take more than to, if she takes it at all.  Even though every Emirati teacher has open slots thoughout the day, as I've mentioned before, they can pick and choose if and when they'll fill them.  I covered classes several times today because it's easier to step in and take over a class than to search all over for someone else willing to do it.

It is an insane way of doing business.  There is no learning going on during absences, that's for sure.

What's even more amazing is that there are Western teachers being paid who are sitting around in hotel rooms waiting for assignments.  They could sub until permanently placed.  It is outrageously inefficient the way it's currently being handled.

My brain was fried by the end of the day.  I also had a couple of formal observations and need to write up the reports from them, but I'm just too tired tonight.  I will get up early in the morning to prepare them when I'm fresh and can think straight.

On a brighter note -

I got a call from the bank letting me know the info I needed to pick up was available. It was 1:45 when the call came in.  The bank closes at 1:30.  The lady asked me what time I would be leaving work.  I said within the hour and she said I could come by.  After hours.  She met me at the back door.  Incredible!

Since I was right next door, I went to ADEC to inquire about my health card. Gratefully, I was able to pick it up right then.  There's this whole system where one person from your school is supposed to pick them up for everyone.  As slow as things oftentimes happen here, I figured it would be the first of Neveruary when I would see it.

From there I went to the mall to increase the package for my internet service on my phone.  Jimmy Lee (my mobile internet service) is being used a lot.  Remember, it's rare to find wireless internet.   Jimmy Lee keeps me in the know wherever I am.  Here, that's priceless.

While at the mall, I received a text saying I had a package ready for pickup.  When I got there, the message was for the package that already arrived and had already been picked up.  Next time, I'll wait for the phone call letting me know I have something for pick-up.

Finally, I arrived home.

Side note - It's sweater cool here at night.  Usually breezy as soon as the sun goes down.

Well, that's it.  My "tired" is tired.

More soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm even more grateful to be retired than I was before I read your blog! I wonder if any school system in the world has it "right" yet!?? During all your "free time" you could be blogging about "How Schools Should be Run"!
    You know, I can hear your inflections and cadence as you write/say the things you write/say. Your sense of humor comes through loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete