Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Questions

I've met some interesting ducks since I've been here and I've been wondering - what causes someone to make this trek to the other side of the world?  I know why I did it - realizing a lifelong dream to see as much of the world as possible - but why do others do it?

There are two folks I know who left husbands back in the US.  That brings new meaning to long distance relationships.  Are some folks running away from something?  Maybe running to something?

Slim job opportunities in the teaching profession domestically I'm sure plays a big role in the decision to venture abroad.

I'm surprised by the number of Black folks I meet.  I know you shouldn't paint with a broad brush, but as a people, we tend not to be that adventurous.  I think that's changing with the younger generation, but I'm meeting folks my age and older who are on this ride.  It's great to see, too.

Inquiring minds want to know though - what's their story?  Will they leave here and go home, wherever that is, or continue the adventure?

Side note - When I was at Abu Dhabi Mall last week, I noticed a sign announcing the arrival of Border's Books.  I was happy to see it.  I felt bad when they closed because I was one of the ones who window shopped there and purchased from Amazon.  They will not have competition from Amazon because Amazon doesn't ship here.  I know.  I tried.

Today as I was continuing with formal observations, I was reminded of the thinking that 10% of teachers are gifted to teach.  That is what they are best at and they make it look easy.  Eighty percent learn to teach.  It takes more effort to master it because it's learned rather than just is.  The final 10% are folks who shouldn't be teaching at all.  Everything about it is a struggle.  I'm betting we all know teachers who fit in each of those categories.

The tragedy of the way we do things though is some of our best and brightest minds who go into teaching are soon disillusioned by the piles of minutia that accompanies this job and/or the politics of being a teacher.  Either way, it's our loss when they choose to do something else.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that more senior or seasoned folks aren't valued, it's just that I think there needs to be a balance of the old and new.  We can and do learn from each other when we strike that right balance.

Sometimes the young teachers make the mistake of coming in telling the more seasoned folks how it should be done.  Too often the seasoned folks just sit back and wait for the youngsters to fail, and too often that happens.  Whereas if they came in with more open attitude, they could learn a lot for the ones who've been around the block a few times.

Conversely, sometimes it's the older folks who are resistant to any change that proves to be the stumbling block for growth.  As I said, a happy medium is what we're looking for and what works best.

OK.  That's it.  My educational philosophies in a nutshell.  That and a dollar won't get you a cup of coffee.

I have write-ups to do for the observations I did today, and I'm stalling.  I should be doing that now, but it's much more enjoyable writing to you.

Yeah, I was one of those kids who waited til the last minute to get the work done, but I told myself I worked better under pressure.  Not true, but that didn't stop me from waiting til the last minute to produce whatever I was working on.

OK.  I really have to go now.

Goodnight.

Sleep tight.

More soon.

OK.  OK.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment