Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Peter is Pretty Awesome!

Peter (my GPS) and I came to a greater understanding today.  OK.  Truth be told, I finally figured out how to use another of his many functions.

Side note - Peter got his name because of his British accent.  British English was the only English setting available for the voice commands.  Of course, I wanted a man's voice.  It's "Peter" because I like the way the Brits say the name.

I could not get why plotting the coordinates was not working.  I'd try to enter the numbers, but the slots didn't match.  I hit a switch and realized there were several settings for the coordinates and I had been using the wrong one.

This discovery came at just the right time.  I needed to find the school where the all-day inservice would be held. I used a "real" map to get me to the right part of town, but I still needed to find the school.  There were schools listed on Peter, but not the one I was looking for.  Just before I reached that "no turning back" level of frustration, I stumbled on the coordinates setting. Once adjusted, I was good to go and less than two miles from my destination.  I was still 45 minutes late, (and those of you who know me know what a stickler I am for being on time), but at least I made it.

It was a beautiful Kindergarten School.  They're called KG schools.  We spent all morning, til 1:30, discussing norms and setting goals.  Should have taken an hour, max.  Now the box can be checked that we met though.  I think some meetings only serve that purpose.

The meeting was followed by a catered lunch that was great.  I was surprised by them serving lunch at all.  The budget in the US was such that serving water was cut out by the time I left.

I met a couple of Black women from Brooklyn, and a Black guy from Chicago.  He was the spouse of one of the VP's.  He was quite the character and fun to talk to. He's a retired lawyer and the father of four grown sons.  His current wife was wife number two(???).  Anyway, he was really outgoing and knew how to make folks at ease . . . immediately.  He reminded me a lot of my brother Forrest.  In fact, they're the same age and he, too, had a music scholarship to Florida A & M University.  He declined it and went elsewhere.

The women were pleasant, too, but were bragging about how comfortable they were getting around the city . . . without the assistance of a GPS.  Really?  Had to go there? After I stood up to introduce myself and told the world I was late because I was lost.  The jury is still out on them.

Anyway . . .

I began the day at school.

On my way in, I received text messages from two of the Western teachers saying they would be absent.  I hit the school door trying to find out who would be willing to sub for them. Thankfully, the spots were filled before students were left unattended.

Then I had to have a tough conversation.  It took longer than I planned, but it needed to happen today, before we begin formal observations tomorrow.  It went well on my part in conveying the information in a positive manner, but I had to share some tough info.  The proof will be in the pudding, as to whether or not the needed changes will occur.  I'm hopeful they will.

Side note 2 - 8.5 X 11 paper is referred to as A4.

Side note 3 - An Emirati lady sitting at my table had six kids, and said she may have more.  She followed that comment with saying that Emirati's like big families. That's obvious by the enrollment in the schools.  Our school, 1st through 5th grade, has a thousand kids.  Our two neighboring schools, right next door in fact, also have large enrollments.

Side note 4 - Most of the doors going in and out of our building are chained and locked.  Even the main staff entrance is locked after the school day begins.  This would be considered a fire hazard in the US.  It's allowed here.  I'm praying that we never have to evacuate in a hurry.

The day ended with me getting a refund for the out-of-pocket expense of staying in a random hotel my first night in the country.  I was told where to pick it up in Abu Dhabi, but I reminded them that I live and work in Al Ain, about 80 miles away.  I asked if they would mail it, but the wired it instead.  I was glad to receive it and thrilled I didn't have to make a trip to pick it up.

Speaking of Abu Dhabi - the next VP meeting is in two weeks and will be there.

Note to self - Plan something fun on the way home.

Most of you are off today for the Martin L. King Holiday (that I completely forgot about).  Enjoy the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment