Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Forbidden is Good!

I cooked the ham yesterday.  I stepped out to throw something away and I realized you could smell the aroma even before you entered my place.  The sweet smell of the ham rubbed with brown sugar and topped with slices of pineapple permeated my home.

I should probably cook more.

The taste . . . was absolutely delicious!  Why is it that forbidden fruit always taste great?  What is that about?

I said I wasn't going to do any running around, but did anyway.

Symmetry is important to me.  Always has been.  The bulletin boards in my class and in my schools had to be just so.  Measured everything.

It bothered me that my television was off center.  Ridiculous, I know, but it was bugging me nonetheless.  Correcting this required a trip to the store to get a couple of longer cords.  Of course, once in the store, there were other things I "just had to have."  I'm happy to report everything is now perfectly aligned and all is right with the world.

A couple of black women and a young girl caught my attention at the mall yesterday.  When I arrived home, I was surprised to see that we live in the same building.  We introduced ourselves.  She is an ADEC teacher, here with her daughter.  The other woman was her mother visiting from Florida.  I mentioned that I went to college in Florida, and as it turned out, we went to the same school - Florida A & M University (FAMU) in Tallahassee.  What a small world!

Side note - FAMU is trying to recover from an awful situation.  One of the drum majors in our world renown band, the Marching 100, was killed as a result of a hazing incident.  Death by blunt force trauma.  It is absolutely horrifying that this kind of nonsense is still allowed.  The band director was fired, but more heads should roll because of this senseless death.

Now to more church news -

I'm still amazed at how familiar folks in the Ethiopian church look to me.  The guy playing piano has a striking remembrance to my Ben.  I didn't notice it last time because I saw him in profile.  Yesterday, he was facing forward.  The woman leading the choir could have been Iman's twin.  You know, Iman, the fashion model, married to David Bowie?

Interestingly, the other church I've attended in this same area, serves complimentary coffee or water that you can drink during service.  I was chilly the last time I was there.  Had a cup of coffee during the service and warmed right up.

Also, there's a little souq in the same building that has snacky stuff that I find useful after service.  I get something from there to tide me over til I get home.

It's about 4:00 in the afternoon as I write this.  I wanted to get it done early so that I can get to bed early tonight.  I'll probably need to leave here at 6:30 in the morning. No later than 6:45, for sure.  I should get there in about 30 minutes.  The boys' start time is 7:15.  The girls' is 7:45.  I saw only a handful of students before break, as it appears to be the tradition to ditch school during minimum days.  I'm looking forward to seeing what a 1000 little ones look like when everyone is there and the building is full.

Side note 2 - I discovered stores in the mall closest to me that I hadn't seen before. I'm a creature of habit.  I park in the same area, use the same entrance, etc. Today, however, my GPS dude (I named him Peter.  He speaks with a British accent) had me going a different route, and I ended up on the other end of the mall.  I decided to venture out and see new things, and I'm glad I did.  I found a shoe store that rivals Payless in their selection and prices.  It's much more conveniently located, too.

Side note 3 - Those of you who know me well, know that I have funky feet.  Yes.  I know.  Way to much information.  I share this not to gross you out, but to explain why I don't spend a lot on my shoes.  When they get funky, I throw them away.  I don't feel bad because I didn't spend a lot on them.  Dr. Oz's remedy of soaking your feet in tea works, but who has time to do that every day?  I've tried the powder, spray deodorant, etc., to no avail.  The culprit is sweaty feet.  What I find fascinating is that none of my guys have this issue - not my brothers or my sons. Just me.

OK.  Enough about my feet.

I promised not to post unless I had something to say.  Writing about my feet may qualify as stretching that a wee bit too far.  Duly note.  No more feet talk.

Side note 4 - I hope you're not reading this over breakfast.

More next time.

Your blogging buddy




1 comment:

  1. Faye... sure hope you have a great first day back tomorrow. As you know, we too are headed back after our break. It was much too short I must say. Glad to have a job, so in taking your advice you will not hear my complain. Tuesday I am headed to the MJ Immortal show, I am so excited. I remember the day he died, I was with you we shared our shock together. Take Care

    ReplyDelete