Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

Church & Almost Fireworks

This morning at breakfast I was all set to start writing this post, when I struck up a conversation with an ADEC Vice Principal from England.  She's the other person I had seen earlier with kids.  Two girls ages 6 and 8.  Her husband has also been hired by ADEC, but is waiting for his VISA to clear.

She was headed to church.  She invited me to come along and I accepted the invitation.  Now remember, today is Friday.  All churches, in addition to the mosques, have their services on Friday because it is considered the holy day. Sunday is the first day of the work week.

The church is located fairly close to where we're staying.  The ride over took about ten minutes.  The church was called The Evangelical Community Church (ECC).  I was surprised at how big it was and how many people were there.  Talk about a rainbow coalition!  There seemed to be folks represented from every corner of the globe.  First time visitors stood up and we were from England, Australia,  the Philippines, China, and the US.  In fact, there was a black guy and his teenage daughter that I recognized from the flight over that was from Florida.  It continues to be a small world.

The praise and worship part of the service was led by a black guy who looked like he was 12 years old.  Cute as a button.  Compared to what I've been used to, the service was calm and sterile.  I heard one "Amen" and I wanted to turn around and check out this brave soul.  I was sitting up front at the request of Dionne, the lady I went with.  Normally, I would have stayed closer to the back and the exit.  I'm sure I would have been totally distracted by the people if I'd been in the back, so this was better for the intended purpose of being there.

After the service, Dione gathered her two girls from Children's Church and we went downstairs to have some refreshments.  The room was abuzz with chatter.  Very different from the solemn atmosphere in the sanctuary.  It was at this point, I think I was hit on.  It's been so long, I'm not sure.  A man recognized us as visitors and came over with crackers for us.  A very nice gesture.  There was the usual small talk.  He asked us about husbands.  Dionne stated her's was waiting to come over. Of course, I said I was divorced.  We asked if he had family and he said yes, but they were all still back in India.  So he asked me, "You're here alone?"  I responded that I was and was having a wonderful time.  We then ask questions about the big Founder's Day Celebration that's happening tonight.  He shared some info and then asked if I'd like for him to take me.  I quickly thank him and graciously declined stating that I was going to go with Dionne and her girls.  What do you think - proposition? or wishful thinking?

We left soon thereafter and got a cab that was waiting right outside the church and came back home.  Dionne had info on how to learn more about my assignment, so I visited her for a few minutes in their suite and it was quite productive.

I've been assigned to a new school in the Um Ghafan region of Al Ain, which is about two hours from Abu Dhabi and about 30 minutes from Al Ain proper.  It is a co-ed elementary school first thru fifth grade, which is different.  Most schools are single sex.  This location appears to be more remote, which is fine.  I know I'm going to be where I'm supposed to be.  Of that I'm sure.

Tonight we're planning on going to see the fireworks on the water.  That should be nice.  More when I return.

Side note - I discovered the pool and spa on the rooftop.  Not interested in getting in the water, but the view from up here on the 15th floor is amazing.  There's a couple up here and the woman's bathing suit is a knee-length dress with leggings. Very, very modest.  The guy has on a regular bathing suit.  Guys get off easier, no matter what the culture, but especially here.

I never understood why folks lay in the sun.  You're literally baking your skin.  If I had pale skin, I think I'd spray some color on and be done with it.  The sun is fierce and unforgiving.  I guess it's human nature to want what you can't have.

Side note 2 - Speaking of tanning, it's been rare that I've seen white folks.  They really stand out because most of the folks, in this city at least, are various shades of brown.  There were more white folks at church today than I've seen since I've been here.  Starbucks is another place I've seen some.

Side note 3 - Forrest mentioned something in response to my comment about the heavy breakfasts that made sense.  He said it's probably that way to prepare for the holy month of Ramadan when they have to eat a hardy breakfast before sunrise and when they are not allowed to eat again until after sunset.  They need to eat enough to get them through the day.  Just a theory, but it makes sense to me.  Today pasta and beans were two of the choices for breakfast.

Side note 4 - Hands down my favorite gadget is the electric pot for heating water.  It boils water in less than a minute.  Perfect for making tea at night.

Side note 5 - The stove is called a cooker.



Just went downstairs to hail a cab to the Corniche, the beach area where the fireworks will be held, and after waiting for a few minutes and watching taxi after taxi go by, I opted not to go.  I don't want to be stuck not having a ride home.  There were three other cars that stopped to offer rides, but they were definitely not taxis. There were cars that went past with kids hanging out of every window, including the sunroof, blowing horns and making all kinds of noise.  That's not my cup of tea, so I'll watch the fireworks on TV.  Safety first.

No comments:

Post a Comment