Search This Blog

Friday, December 30, 2011

Jebel Hafeet and Wedding Bells




Lots to talk about today.  In the form of random thoughts.

Here goes:

I have to continue to look for a church.  Went back to the original one I visited, and struggled to stay for the whole sermon.  Too much of the message was "woe is me." I want to be uplifted and inspired, not condemned.  The search continues.

Quick update on the test package I sent to New York.  It did arrive in the US in two weeks, but got lost once it arrived there.  I'm hopeful it will show up at some point. Doesn't lead to a lot of confidence in the postal system in either country.

Christened my stove today by preparing my first meal on it.  Works like a champ. Even though it's small, my biggest pots could fit on it together - no problem.  Yes, it was good enough to eat.  Spaghetti.  Hard to mess that up.

Finished reading a book last night that I stayed up too late to complete.  I was not happy with the ending though.  All of that time invested, and you come to the end and . . .

When I unpacked everything, I found the electronic frame with all of Zadie's (my granddaughter) pictures.  It's incredible to see how much she's grown in a year's time.  I shouldn't be surprised though.  I remember pushing her father in a stroller like it was yesterday, and look at him now.  How time flies.

I went the local fast food joint, to ask if I could take some pictures of the hanging meat.  They agreed, and were flattered I think.

This is the sphere/rod that contains the packed meat used to make the shawerma.  In this case, chicken.    The guys packed the meat like this themselves.  They shave it and the shavings, along with pickles and a couple of french fries, wrapped in pita-life bread, make up the shawerma.  Thankfully, they let me photograph it and them.

You can't tell from this picture, but this one has a red tint.  It's the spicy one. 



Wrapped shawerma





Naked shawerma.  It tastes better than it looks.

I made it up the mountain that is in town.  Breathtaking views both going up and coming down.  I was planning on making the trek at night, but I'm so glad I went in daylight.  It was winding a lot.

On the way to Jebel Hafeet - the mountain.

View from lookout point.  


Another view from the lookout point.


View from lookout point 3

Finally, I went to the wedding.  It was more like the reception because you don't see the ceremony.

Here's how it went down.  Yesterday I contacted the only person I knew who could give me directions.  When  she didn't respond, I assumed I had missed it.

No problem.

While I was out and about today, I received a text from her asking that I contact her, which I did.  It was 6:00pm.  She asked me if I still wanted to go.  I said I did, but thought I missed it.  It didn't start until 8:30pm.  We agreed on a meeting place. When they arrived, I was the fourth and last car of the caravan.

The lead driver was driving like a wild person.  It took everything I had to keep up. The four cars going through at least a half dozen roundabouts was colorful.  Lots of honking going on.

When we arrived, it was a huge reception hall.  I could see the entrance from my car.  It was the one with only ladies.  That's right.  There were no men in the building.  Not until the grooms arrive, after the brides make their grand entrance.

When I walked up, the air was thick with the smell of incense.  Ladies were entering a makeshift foyer.  I had lost the folks I was following, so I entered alone.  No big deal.

Once I got past the initial thick air, I was greeted by someone with an ornate flask that had something like a dip stick in it.  The lady was touching folks with it.  She asked me if I wanted some.  I asked what was it and she replied, perfume.  So I got my dab of perform and arrived at the entrance.

From there I could see just how big the place was.  Must have seated several thousand.  The tables were set for a formal meal.  I found an empty seat at the back and proceeded to take it all in.

The ladies were milling about.  Most had on elaborate abayas.  Beautiful.  Others had on evening gowns.  Lots of sparkle.

I was surprised at the number of kids there.  And boy, the little girls looked like beauty contestants.  They were totally dolled up.

Some of the ladies from my school recognized me and came by to say hello.  The folks I lost earlier, came by, too.

By now there is incredibly loud, live music.  A woman is singing and two others are dancing.  They were wearing evening gowns and shaking their booties pretty good.  I was surprised at all of their gyrations.

I was invited to sit with several groups, but declined because I knew I wouldn't be there long.  Between the thick air and the throbbing music, I could feel a headache coming.

So, in essence, folks are invited to the reception, not the wedding.  Protocol dictated that no one leaves before the bride(s) arrive.  I did.  I'm told they make a grand entrance.  The stage is like one for a beauty pageant, with a runway.  The brides walk back and forth so everyone can see them.  Then they are seated on couches located on stage.  Finally, the groom(s) arrive.  I'm told you can tell they are on the way because all the women cover up.

No photography was allowed.


It is my understanding all weddings here are arranged.  Makes sense because at no time are women and men together, so there isn't an opportunity to get to know someone.  

This wedding was a double one with two brothers marrying two sisters.  I was told they're first cousins.  Not sure how accurate that last bit of info is though.


I lasted as long as I could, less than an hour.  I'm glad I went, but I'm also glad to be home.  I'm guessing the bride(s) wouldn't have arrived until about midnight.

That, my dear friends and family, is a wedding, Arabian style.






No comments:

Post a Comment