Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Taking Care of Business on Christmas Eve

It was all about the checklist today.  Making sure I got as many things done as possible.  Thankfully, it was very productive.

It's Christmas Eve, but it doesn't feel like it at all.  I don't have any decorations up, no tree.  Nothing that indicates this is the holiday season.  Those of you who know me well, know that I just threw a sheet over my little three-foot tree with the lights and ornaments still on, and each year took the sheet off and it was good to go. Instant decorations!  That tree was sold or given away in the garage sale.  Wasn't in the mood to replace it.  I'm not in the holiday frame of mind, I guess.  Reminds me of when I've spent Christmas in Miami.  It never quite felt like Christmas because it was hot and folks were in shorts and flip flops.  Somehow, in my mind, it needs to be chilly, cold even.

Of course the holiday is not about the weather, but still, it sets the tone for the season, I think.

Last Christmas I was alone.  By choice.  In retrospect, it was great preparation for this year.

Tomorrow - yes on Christmas Day - I take delivery of my living room set and sofa bed.  My bottom will appreciate the softness of the sofa after spending so much time sitting on the floor.

Side note - Did I mention that the stores and businesses are laid out in clusters? For example, all of the jewelry stores are in the same part of town, next door to each other.  The cell phone stores, banks, specialty stores, etc.  It is an interesting concept if you want to shop around.  This makes it easy.  Typically, they all carry about the same merchandise, so I suppose it comes down to who you like dealing with the best.

Side note 2 - Just tried hanging something on the wall.  Made a bit of a mess, so I called for help.  The walls are made of something that is not user friendly for hanging things.  One of the men who hung my drapes will come by tomorrow.  He reminds me so much of the Native American character, Chief, in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  He's a gentle soul.  Rarely speaks, although my little homesick teacher speaks his language, and they had a spirited conversation.  He has a warm smile and kind eyes.  I always wonder what he's thinking.  I don't think he's treated well by the foreman, so I hired him directly, to bypass the foreman.  Although, as I mentioned earlier, this foreman is like the office manager or plant manager on a school campus.  You want to always be on their good side because in many ways, they run the place.

Side note 3 - I may christen my sofa by sleeping on it tomorrow night.  I am so ready to unpack my bags for good, I may move out of the hotel tomorrow instead of Monday.  I know what you're thinking.  One more day won't make that much of a difference, and you're right.  It would do wonders for my spirit and frame of mine though.  It will be a game day decision.

Side note 4 - I have Western TV!  Yeah!  So far I've seen CNN International, Style, MTV and VH1, and TMC (classic movies).  There's more, I just have to figure out where to find them.  A program guide would be helpful.  I'm told I can find one online. Assumed I would only be getting Western channels.  Not so.  They are interspersed with many Arabic ones.

Side note 5 - My stove (cooker, as it's called here) was delivered today.  Just after it arrived, I was headed to the office to let them know I needed the gas turned on when the guy in charge of the gas was walking toward me leaving flyers on doors and stopped to give me a sales pitch on the wonders of gas appliances.  So, we walked back to my place and my gas was installed, right then and there.  I was the first tenant to get the gas hook-up.  I don't know what folks, who moved in months ago, were doing for cooking.  Anyway, I'm all set to cook, whenever the mood hits me. Won't be regularly, I'm sure.  I was disappointed to discover that the dishes I bought are not microwavable.  Sparks fly when I heated something up.  My china, that I bought as I was leaving college, was also not microwaveable, but that was a hundred years ago.  I just assumed they resolved the issue of sparks flying when they're trimmed in silver.  Guess not.  My choice is to try and sell them, although I already threw the box away that they came in, or figure out a way to make it work. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Side note 6 - Exchanging things that you're purchased happens, but reluctantly. Seriously, they want blood to take something back, and then you don't get cash, only a store credit.  So, you need to be sure of your purchases because chances are, they're going to remain yours whether you like it or not.  Remember this when you go to return or exchange all of those Christmas gifts.

On that note, I'll close!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone!










1 comment:

  1. MERRY CHRISTMAS, FAYE! THIS YEAR WILL BE THE GIFT OF ADVENTURE FOR YOU. I SEND YOU BEST WISHES FOR A MERRY DAY OF WELCOMING YOUR NEW FURNITURE, AND A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete