Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lost and Found

Today, on the way to work, I saw a herd of camels, all saddled and ready to roll. This amazing sight came about when I was lost.  Yep.  Really lost.  It took me two hours to get to school.  It should have taken 45 minutes.  But, I would have missed seeing the camels if I had been on time, so I was OK with being lost.

Actually, just about the time I figured out where I was, I was about to go back and try and find my hotel to retrace my steps and start the trek all over again. Gratefully, that didn't have to happen.

The Hilton Hotel Al Ain is a prominent landmark.  Most folk use it when giving directions in the southern part of the city.  You're suppose to make a turn near it, and that's what I kept goofing up.  I must have seen the Hilton 17 different times, from every possible angle.

I stopped by a store yesterday to buy a navigational system, but the prices were three times what I paid for one in the US.  I decided to use the navigational system on my phone, but it was picky.  It wanted street signs and addresses, so it was no good.  It froze up when I put in GPS coordinates.  The automated guy on my phone GPS said "I don't recognize your position."  I said, "Me either."

So, you know what I did on the way home from work, right?  Headed straight for the store.  Yes, indeed.  I purchased a Garmin and STILL GOT LOST!  It couldn't help me today because it didn't know where I was going either.  Hopefully, next time I turn it on, it will be able to find HOME.

While I was lost on my way home, I stumbled into a neighborhood and couldn't believe the size and extravagance of the homes.  Like I mentioned before, folks here live in compounds of several houses, and they're behind high, elaborate, decorative fences that resemble forts.  Today was the first time I passed by so many with their gates open.  The homes were all at least three stories tall.  Lots of glass.  Lots of marble. Lots of brilliant light fixtures.  I came real close to driving in to one of the compounds to ask for directions, but it was getting dark, and I wasn't sure if I would be welcomed.

After spending about a half hour rubber necking through the neighborhood, I found the "fort roundabout." Thankfully, most of the roundabouts have a theme of some kind.  Even with distinguishing features, they all start to look alike after a while.

Remember when I mentioned how cutting edge this country is in so many ways? The Emirati are brilliant people on so many levels.  That's why it's hard to understand the lack of street signs and addresses.  Seems to me, when building a city, you would start with that, right?

I know I've spent a long time talking about this, but after being lost for almost three hours today, it's heavy on my mind.

Now to school and an interesting observation.

We had an inservice today, the last day before a holiday.  Not the best timing, for sure.  Although the native folks were kind and gracious, it was a divided auditorium. They were on one side and the Western teachers on the other.  From the stage, I could see I have my work cut out for me to somehow bridge the gap, so that we're all speaking the same language, so to speak.  The language absolutely presents a barrier, but so do the customs and rituals we're not used to.

I know what it feels like to be the minority in a room, class, auditorium, etc., but I think some of our Western teachers are experiencing that feeling for the first time and it's uncomfortable for them.  My challenge is to get everyone on the same page, moving in the same direction.

I heard some more today about the boys' behavior.  Primarily, the children in the UAE are being raised by nannies, who are afraid to disciplined the kids.  I was told some nannies have been whipped and beat for trying to correct bad behavior.  They most certainly would be fired.  So, many of the kids grow up spoiled, and running the show, if you will.

At our school, this is the first year that this group of boys have been taught by women teachers.  Before they were at a boys' school with an all-male staff.  The boys do not come to school with the same respect for female teachers that they had for the men teachers.  Culturally, men play a more prominent role in this society, and the consequence of that attitude, is played out in the school.  It is very interesting.

Below please find a picture of six of ten young women who represent the custodial staff at school.  There are four others, but I didn't meet them.  These ladies passed by my office, saw me there, and came by to see if I would take a picture with them. They were so warm and friendly, I had a great time chatting with them.

Custodial staff at my school

They arrive at school via bus at 6:00am and work until 5:30pm, when the bus picks them up and returns them to their housing area about 45 minutes away.  At most US schools, there is some custodial staff in the day time, but there is also someone who cleans at night.  Not so here.  They are cleaning the building all day long, everyday.  They are also sometimes treated as servants when the native folks need or want something done that they don't want to do.  For example, the natives have them carrying their things and fetching things for them.  Servant work.  Too often, that's how they are perceived.  The young ladies told me that they make 600 dirhams a month.  That's $163, for twelve hour days, six days a week. They will be working every day except Fridays, all during our winter break.

They paid an agency in the Philippines to get them the job.  They also had to pay for their travel to the UAE.  If they decide they don't won't the job, or can't do it, they have to pay their own way to return home.

The time that they have been in the UAE ranges from one year four months to two years.  It was interesting how they responded when I asked them how long they'd been here.  They each gave the exact time, like they were counting the days.

Finally, the way the native folks greet each other is a sight to see.  I mentioned how some men rub noses, well the ladies blow at least three air kisses on the side of the face of the person they're greeting.  If they're really close, the kisses mount up to five or six.  Other women do the "European" double kiss on either cheek.  Suffice it to say, it takes a minute to say hello.

I was lost, but thankfully, now I'm found, hopefully never to be lost again.

3 comments:

  1. I would have been scared to death to be lost like that!! I am sure the locals will recognize your car soon enough...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't so much scary as irritating. I had made this same trek before with no problem and I was frustrated with myself for not paying attention. You know how you can get on automatic pilot when you drive, when your car just knows where to go? Well, neither me or my car is there yet. For a minute, I was lost in my thoughts, and that was enough to throw everything off kilter.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Dear sir / ma
    We offer
    Fresh Cut BG / SBLC, MTN Specifically for Lease @ (6.0 + 0.5 + X)%. Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected We are direct to a provider for BG/SBLC specifically for lease, at leasing price of (6.0 + 0.5 + X)% of face value, Issuance by HSBC London/Hong Kong or any other AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA.

    Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded, loan financing by providing you with yearly renewable leased bank instruments. We work directly with issuing bank lease providers, this Instrument can be monetized on your behalf for 100% funding: For further details contact us with the below information.

    Contact : Mr. Benard butty
    Contact: bgfinance.butty@gmail.com
    Skype ID: bglease.butty

    ReplyDelete