Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Shopping - Part 2

Today was a twelve hour day of shopping with just over an hour of being lost.  This time I was lost because of HORRIBLE directions!  I was actually in the parking lot of where I needed to be when I called and was told I was in the wrong place.  These directions were flat out bad.

Thankfully, my lost times are growing shorter now that I'm using the navigational system every time I leave home.  God bless the man, or woman, who invented these things.  They are truly a life saver.

As I said, I went shopping.  Not my favorite thing to do, but I was just returning to stores finalizing purchases, as I did most of the heavy lifting yesterday.

Some things here are very reasonably priced - furniture (solid wood, king size bed and mattress with three-piece wardrobe is less than $1000), large and small appliances, dishes, pot and pans, etc., while other things, like electronics - cell phones (iPhone 4=$700), car rentals (leasing my hooptie car for a month=$476), navigational systems ($250), etc., are not.  Gas is relatively cheap, though.  It cost $20 to fill up a car the size of a Toyota Corolla.

Let me go back for a minute - I purchased a wardrobe because my new place does not have closets.  That's true of most homes here. There are no bedroom closets, no linen closets.  No storage space at all, except for the kitchen.  There are cabinets in the kitchen.  Interesting.  Has to be a guy's design.

It took some doing to find a plain sofa.  Most were very ornate and flashy. Lots of frilly and shiny material.  The light fixtures and lamps had "crystal eyedrops" hanging on most.

There is at least one Ikea in this country.  It's on Yas Island, about fifteen miles from Abu Dhabi.  I'm told when you purchase from them, they deliver and put everything together for you at no extra charge.  They deliver as far away as we are - about 100 miles.  

I'm really looking forward to finally unpacking.  By the time all of my things are delivered, in about two weeks, I will have lived out of suitcases about three months. I purchased things from three different stores and I have three different delivery dates.  The first is on Monday, one on Christmas (Merry Christmas to me), and the final delivery is on the 28th.  The last date is when my bed will arrive.  I'll be completely moved in my New Year's Eve.  Yeah!

Well, there are more errands to run tomorrow.

Until then, be well and enjoy life.


No comments:

Post a Comment