Search This Blog

Friday, December 9, 2011

On the Move

Battery Pack
Random thoughts:

Before I forget, I have to plug a battery pack that I purchased from Amazon.  I ran out of juice on the flight over to New York before I left Sacramento, and while I was on the road, I looked at battery packs in the airport.  They were at least $100.  The one I got cost $40 and works great.  It's about the size of my phone, and yesterday when I was out and about, my phone was plugged in and recharging in my purse. The brand is New Trent, and no, I'm not getting a commission for this recommendation, but I should.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I saw all of these stores that sold cloth for sewing, or so I thought.  I visited one yesterday and the cloth is actually pieces of sari(s), the outfit that Indian women wear.  I wondered why there were mannequins modeling the sari in each of the store windows.  It's amazing that I didn't make the connection.

I haven't figured out the system for phone numbers.  My number is ten digits, not counting the country code.  It's 050-917-4857.  The country code is 971, but it's my understanding when you add the country code, you eliminate part of the 050 prefix and add the zeros in front of the country code(???).  I'm just not sure which part. Also, some businesses have only six numbers, others seven.  I've asked for clarification, but so far, the answers only raises more questions.  I'm thankful for gmail chat which allows you to call computer-to-computer at no charge.

There are two cab companies in Abu Dhabi.  The main one has grey cars - Toyotas and Nissans - with a yellow taxi sign on top.  All of these cars have meters.  The other company's cars are white with green doors.  Their fleet is definitely older, more worn.  They don't have meters.  The driver just "feels" the amount owed.  These drivers are a little shady, but colorful.  



I wondered why the cab drivers don't talk to the patrons.  I just read that women sit in the back and there is no talking, less the driver misinterpret the 'friendliness'.


Here is a picture of housing for expats who work in the city.  It is the building in the middle.  This one is decent looking.  Right after taking this picture I passed another one that was awful, but I was skittish about photographing it.


Housing for workers


The cricket players are out in force again today in the large four-block prayer lot. They make a kind of cackling noise when the game gets exciting.  Interestingly, these are men, not boys.  


ATM's are open 24 hours, but they are all located inside the bank, that is sectioned off so that you have access to the ATM's, but not the rest of the bank.  You access it from an outside door that is locked.  You have to slide your ATM Card through a slot to open it.  Once inside, you're locked in and have to push a button to exit. Definitely a safe system.  The only free standing ATM's I've seen are located in the malls, with security guards always close by. Although crime rarely occurs, you see a lot of security guards.  


Below is a picture of the little market or souq that I shop in that is next door to the hotel.  This is where I bought the SIM Card for my phone.


Souq or Supermarket where I shop
Great news:

I received word yesterday that I'm moving today to Al Ain.  It's about two hours from here, close to the country of Oman.  I'll be moving to another hotel, but will be looking into permanent housing soon thereafter.  My first day at work will be Sunday. Remember this is Friday, the day of worship.  I'll work for a week, then the school will be on winter break for three weeks.  The timing is great, as this time off will help me to get acclimated in the new area.





Just googled Al Ain.  It is the second largest city in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.  So, the city of Abu Dhabi is in the Emirate (or state) of Abu Dhabi.  Al Ain is called the Garden City due to it's greenery. The highways between the cities form a triangle with Abu Dhabi and Dubai, making each about 80 miles apart. The climate is dryer, with low humidity, and it is the cultural destination for the nationals (natives) of Abu Dhabi and Dubai.  Can't wait to get there to explore this area, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment