Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reflections - Part 2

Let me begin by apologizing for all of the errors in yesterday's post (and prior ones, too).  Seriously, I should not touch the keyboard after midnight.

Contrary to popular belief, I do actually proofread these before publishing, reading them again and again, and I often make corrections after publication.  Too often though, I'm too close to them to see the blindingly obvious mistakes.

My sincere apologies.

Today:

I was moving slowly this morning.  Had a couple of errands I intended to run, but was not in a hurry.  At about 8:15, I received a call from my bank, saying that a card I ordered was ready for pick-up.  The lady noted that I needed to get there before noon.  I'm assuming they were closing early for the holiday.  Truth be told, I'm surprised they were open at all.

Anyway, I said all that to say my day started earlier than planned.

I needed to go by the post office to pick up my ID Card.  Did that, but was informed that I needed to go to Abu Dhabi to get it or wait another ten days for them to send it to Al Ain.  I opted to go get it, but decided to wait until Monday because I need to go to the ADEC Office in Abu Dhabi as well.  Kill two birds with one stone, kind of thing.

Ran a couple of more errands.  Got home and waited for the folks to deliver the broken chest mirror.  The guys came, opened up the new one to install, and it, too, was broken.  Will deliver again on Monday.  I called the store to ask if I couldn't have the one on display.  We know that one isn't broken and it's local.  Still waiting to hear from them.


I'm more than halfway through New Year's Eve.  It's after 4:00pm now.  As is my custom, I will be sleeping when the clock strikes midnight.  I can't remember the last time I saw the new year arrive.  I like sleeping way too much.  I also never liked going out on New Year's Eve.  Way too many crazies out and about then.  


Reflections:

Last year at this time, I had no earthly idea that the very near future would hold such an extraordinary transformation for me with this new job.  As I think back on the timeline - getting a verbal confirmation on Aug. 20th, the contract on October 20th and the ticket to depart on November 20th - I remember many frustrating days wondering if this would actually happen.  Because of the delay though, I had the chance to spend some really quality time with Frankie and his family.  (Being a grandma is a joy unspeakable).  Now that I'm here, I realized my arrival time was perfectly orchestrated.  I had weeks to become acclimated and explore the country before having to report to work.  Once on the job, I only worked four days before the winter break with three weeks off, which gave me more than enough time to shop and furnish my new home.  It would have been really stressful to try and do all of this while working.

So, even though the timing seemed off while I was waiting, it ended up being perfect.

Some of you might be in the same boat as I was, waiting for something to happen. Know that it will happen when its supposed to.  Don't fight it.  Just be content, knowing it is going to happen at a time that will result in the best possible outcome for you.

Whenever you're in doubt, remember my story.

Never in a million years did I think I would be retired at this time last year either. Considering my age, I hadn't been in the workforce long, so I never paid attention to the quarterly retirement statements.  I assumed I would be working in my former school district for the next hundred years.  This year retirement was possible because I reached the magic age of 55 with over ten years of service.  Interestingly, I applied to work in Kuwait last year and was disappointed when that didn't happen. Little did I know it was because there was something much better.  If I'd gotten that job, I would have requested, and probably would have been denied, a leave of absence from the Sacramento school system I was attached to.  This way, I made a clean break, with an added bonus of a monthly retirement salary.

When I think about all of you, my incredible family and friends, I know I couldn't have left Sacramento without your help and encouragement.  Thank you!

I'm honored that you're taking this ride with me.  I know I'm totally long-winded about nothing sometimes, so on the days you skip, it's all good.

When Frankie and I were Skyping a few days ago, I carried my laptop around my place so he could see it. This was prior to the pictures being published.  When he saw the curtains, he said, "This is what you spent so much time writing about?"  So, I realized then I may have overdone it on the curtains.  And probably on getting lost. And moving.  So thanks for hanging in there through all that.

As you recall, a dear friend reminded me to be thankful for my health.  Yes!  Yes! Yes!  Without good health, none of this would not be possible. Thankfully, I've been virtually migraine-free since arriving here.  More and more, I think my headaches were stress-related.  It's amazing the negative impact stress can have on our lives.

As we come to the final hours of 2011,  let us all be thankful for our many blessings. And there are many. Sometimes we struggle to remember them, but when we do, we are reminded of how good we really have it.

I was sharing with Frankie - too often, where you're born determines your lot in life.  I was referring to the young Philippine girls who are the custodians in my building. Young, beautiful girls.  Remember, they make $167 a month and they had to pay some agency to get them these jobs, pay their way here and will have to pay their way back if it doesn't work out.  How would their lives be different if they were born or raised some place else?  Would it be better?  Worse?  In what ways?  Or am I using the wrong measuring stick to determine what is success or not?  Maybe they are successful in the ways that matter most.  I don't know.

Enough philosophizing.

I look forward to 2012 with great anticipation.  Like you, I don't know what the future holds, but I'm excited about all the possibilities.

May this be the beginning of the best years of your life!

Happy New Year!














No comments:

Post a Comment