Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gratitude

This is the second time I'm writing today, but I won't post until tomorrow because I left my computer at my new place.


Random thoughts first - 




I saw two young guys cruising in a silver and black Rolls Royce.  They definitely wanted to be sure they were seen because they kept going back and forth through the mall parking lot.  Could have been there to pick up someone, but I don't think so. They were showing off their ride.


Some of the women wear burkas that look like half-masks.  It covers their mouths and chins.  You can see more of their face, but a first glance, they look like guys in drag.  Not the most attractive look.


All Emirati men, both young and old, wear sandals with their robes - mostly brown, but I've seen black and white ones, too.  But what I have not seen is a man with crusty feet.  There's a salon for men on every corner where they get haircuts and their beards trimmed or sculptured, as I described recently.   I'm thinking they get pedicures there, too, cause they have pretty feet.  If there is such a thing.


There is almost always the strong smell on incense in the malls.  You can easily locate the kiosk where the guy is firing up and burning many different scents.  It reminds me of guys smoking reefer in college, trying to mask the smell with the incense.  It didn't work. It also reminds me of the Catholic Church.  When someone dies, they fire it up at a funeral mass, and on the occasion of a high mass they bring it out, too. Funny how smells jar certain memories.


I've only seen one brand of gas stations and they are all full service.  Not having to pump your own gas is a real treat and harkens back to the days of old.  


The native folks are really a beautiful people.  I saw a guy in the mall yesterday that was just gorgeous.  Stunning even.  I was old enough to be his momma, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the view.


Now to the real message for today - 

I've been thinking about a line my dear friend Deb M. taught me.  It's "Lord I apologize".  It is usually succeeded by something that probably should be left unsaid.

I couldn't get that phrase out of my head, not because of an inappropriate thought, word or deed, but because of my ungrateful attitude in reference to my rental car.  I met a friend, the couple with the two boys that left Abu Dhabi just before me, out shopping today.  It was good to see them.  During the course of the conversation about where to find bargains, she asked me if I had a car, and I talked about my hooptie.  Then I felt awful because they don't have a car yet, and here I am complaining about the one I have.   They have to get a cab everywhere they go, and with two kids, that's not easy.  Also, the wife's school is 90 minutes one way, so her commute is long.  I didn't even ask how she gets to and from work.   I was just remembering how I griped about my 45 minutes, that will soon be 30 minutes.

Shame on me for my ungrateful attitude.  I just posted about being thankful wherever you are, but in the case of my car, I was anything but.

Everyone needs someone in their life to check them.  My brother, Forrest, who is ten years older than me, is that person in my life.  I hope I'm that person in my sons' lives.  I think when you don't have someone who can be totally honest with you, is when you're more apt to go off the deep end.

Forrest and I talk almost every day, but for the last week or so, because of spotty internet coverage, we haven't been able to chat.  He is so much more than a brother. Because of the age difference, in many ways, he's more like a father figure.  As I mentioned before, he is the reason I left home and went to college.  And when my scholarship ran out after two years, he paid my way through school.  He's a terrific counselor and is definitely the reason Ben and Frankie lived to adulthood.  He has been, and continues to be, my confidant.

Anyway, I said all that to say, Forrest is my rock and my moral compass.  I can count on him to always be honest with me.  However, as of today, I hope my circle of friends and family will widen to include more of you who will join the ranks of setting me straight.  I give you permission to virtually slap me if you ever hear me whining or feeling sorry for myself again.  I know better, and still I'm guilty of it.

So, I decided, on this day, the one month anniversary of my being in the UAE, I want to spend the rest of this time sharing my gratitude for the most fantastic month of my life!

I'm thankful for the extraordinary time I've had of exploring this new world.  For all of the things I've done and the great people I've met.  Take the woman from New York who was waiting for her husband to arrive to share the experiences.  I know what you're  thinking.  You're tempted to feel sorry for me because I'm not sharing the experiences with someone special.  Stop right there.  I share them with you every day, and I do what I want, when I want, so I'm good.  More than good, I'm great!

I'm thankful for this blog, so that I can keep a record of all of the wonderful things I've seen and done and I'm thankful to be able to share it with you.

I'm thankful for the people I've met, the strangers who have helped me to navigate these new cities.

I'm thankful for the man, who just yesterday, motioned to me that I was driving the wrong way.  I was in a parking lot, but still, it could have gotten ugly.

And yes, I'm thankful for my rental car.  I'm thankful that the weather is wonderful so most days I can open the windows and enjoy a fresh breeze.  I'm grateful it's good on gas.  I'm grateful that I can shop anytime I want and not have to worry about hauling bags around, trying to catch a cab.  I'm grateful that I have a car to find and attend church.  Even when I was getting lost, I wouldn't have had those experiences of seeing new things - often accidentally - if I wasn't driving myself around in my rental car.

Gratitude is a choice.  I choose to be thankful everyday.



No comments:

Post a Comment