Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sheikh Zayed's Quotes

I have been struggling for almost two hours trying to get online.  Yes.  Called for help.  Twice.  OK.  Guy just arrived and it's working perfectly.  Don't you just hate that?!?

Today was Day 3 on the job.  No kids showed up for school . . . again.  We're not expecting any tomorrow either.  Minimum days take on a whole new meaning here.

My school - Library from the outside

There was a meeting with the Vanderbilt University Coach, as decisions were made in reference to assignment of duties for the vice principals.  Thankfully, the meeting was efficiently run.  It still took a while, but we got a lot accomplished.

That was followed by an exchange of gifts by staff in the library.  There was supposed to be a limit on how much to spend, but most of the Emirati Women came in with bags from exclusive jewelry and accessory stores.  So my little gift from Bath & Body Works was truly a token.  Thankfully, one of the Western teachers received it.

I was told earlier this year, one of the bus monitors, an Emirati, gave a Western teacher a bracelet from Tiffany's "just cause."

My school - Side view

Speaking of gifts, it is customary for new staff members to give a gift to the principal.  Yes.  Bath & Body Works for her, too.  The principal, in turn, purchased a going away gift for a staff member (money was collected from everyone) that was spectacular!  I'm sure what was collected didn't begin to pay for the gift, a fabulous watch.

The ladies may all be in black abayas, but if you check out their shoes and handbags, you will see just how lavish some of them are.  On Dec. 2nd, Founder's Day, the Sheikh gave all of the Emirati Nationals a 100% raise.  

No, I'm not ashamed to say I continue my search for an Emirati to marry.  Doesn't matter if he has other wives.  I'm OK with that.  

After the exchange of gifts, everyone went into one of the courtyards to play games. Not my cup of tea, so I escaped to my office to complete some paperwork so I wouldn't have to do it tonight.  The games were followed by a Bar-B-Q, which was fascinating to see.  

The Bar-B-Q grill was a low, square, heavy, cast iron gizzy.  There was charcoal on it, and next to this was another open fire in a trough-looking bucket.  The ladies squatted as they fanned the flames from the bucket onto the grill, helping the chicken to cook.  It was delicious!

I wanted to take a picture of all of this, but the women do not allow their pictures to be taken.  When the Western folks took pictures of themselves, the women likely to be in the frame covered themselves with their head scarves.  By the way, those scarves are miles long.  They're wrapped and wrapped and wrapped some more around their heads.

Me with the Head of Faculty X 2

Side note - You have to wonder how the native folks meet someone to get married. The women are covered up and they are always separated from the men.  When do they have the opportunity to meet, and date?  My principal's sons are getting married later this month.  I should ask her.  OK.  Maybe not yet.  

Side note 2 - The native men rub noses when they greet a close friend.  I saw this once in Abu Dhabi, but have seen it here several times.  It's interesting.  I have to be careful not to stare them down when I do witness it.

Side note 3 - There is a prayer room in the school.  Staff and students accompanied by adults are welcomed to use it during the day.

Beautiful Park in Downtown Area

Side note 4 - The following are two quotes by Sheikh Zayed, the first ruler of the UAE, that were framed in an office in the ADEC Building here in Al Ain.

"A country is not measured by the size of it's area on the map.  A country is truly measured by it's heritage and culture."  

"A woman constitutes half the society and keeps the house.  A country aspiring to build itself should not keep a woman in the darkness of illiteracy and a prisoner to the shackles of oppression."

Amazing, right?

Side note 5 - The current ruler of the country has a summer home here that I pass every day. It's so big, I thought it was a park.  It's a compound that takes up blocks and blocks.  There is a sign out front forbidding photographs to be taken. 

Side note 6 - Most of the families live on compounds.  When the kids grow up and marry, they all live on the same property together with their parents and grandparents.  They'd be serious drama for some of us if we lived like that.

Side note 7 - Went by my apartment today to check that the lights were on and that it was cleaned of the saw dust.  One of the Head of Faculty that I work with, also lives there, and I stopped by her place for a minute to get some decorating ideas.  

Beginning on Friday the 16th, I'll be on break for three weeks.  I look forward to exploring the area.  Having the car certainly helps.  

Speaking of car, I was so proud that I didn't get lost going to work or getting to my new place after work.  I did, however, get lost about two miles from home.  It's hard to make a correction when you goof up.  Finding a place to turn around can take a while.  By the time you get back on track, you have to remember where to get off on the roundabouts again.  I went round and round several of the roundabouts.  If anyone was watching, I sure they chuckled at the sight of me and my hooptie.  I stumbled on the border of Oman, that is literally just a couple of miles from this hotel.  I realized it was the border because the traffic was backed up at the checkpoint, and there was a sign reminding folks to have their passports ready to be checked.  

I'm thankful to have a car, for sure, and the car I have rented is colorful.  It's got character, and miles galore.  There are dents and scrapes, and it reeks of cigarettes.  Gratefully, the air condition works.  I needed it to keep cool during my long, lost trek home today.  Yep, it was the cheapest one on the lot.  I just needed something to get me from point A to B until I decide what to do about getting a car - you know, buy or lease.  Leasing would be the easiest, and I'm leaning in that direction.  Any suggestions/comments about the pro's and con's of buying vs. leasing would be greatly appreciated.  Remember, my email is fayesharpe@gmail.com.  Thanks!




2 comments:

  1. I am SO enjoying reading your posts! Don't ever get too busy to post because I am learning so much from your adventures.

    Thought about you today when we had a lockdown right before dismissal time. I am sure you won't miss that!

    I am so glad that you are enjoying yourself - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms.Sharpe,

    I caught up on your post I really enjoyed it. I feel like Celie in the color purple. lol I can see you in that car!!

    Tanya Bolden

    ReplyDelete