Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

Round and Round the Roundabouts

Bird Roundabout - Official Name = Baladiya Roundabout
It's 9:15 in the evening, and the sound of drilling is filling my new home.  I waited all day for delivery of my furniture. They arrived two hours past the 10:00-5:00 window.  That's OK cause they're here now.

Here's the kicker though, all of the stuff came in flat boxes!  My rationale for choosing this store instead of Ikea was the fact that the things would be assembled and ready to go.  Is this the reason it was such a good deal?

Anyway, there are three guys hard at work.  I felt guilty about inquiring where they were and satisfied my conscious by buying them a bite to eat.  Besides, I figured they would concentrate better on the job at hand, if they weren't starving.

The pictures of my place will have to wait, but I have a treat for you - pictures of some of the roundabouts (R/A) this city is known for.  I've tried taking pictures while driving around them.  Not the best idea. Thankfully someone far better at this sort of thing than me, took great pictures and posted them on the web.  Below are a select few.  Enjoy!

The official name of this one is the Castle Roundabout.  All I know is I was always a happy soul when I spotted it cause that meant I had almost made it to the hotel.

Castle R/A (I called this one the Fort R/A)



Another view of the Fort R/A


Globe R/A

Close-Up of Globe

Another Close-Up of Globe



Mandoos R/A - Haven't seen this one yet

Coffe R/A?
Sheikh Zayed R/A



close-Up of Sheikh Zayed R/A

Sheikh Mubarak R/A




This one is unique because there's traffic beneath it
Waterfall R/A


Another view of Waterfall R/A

Side note - My doorbell rang at about 9:45.  I thought it was my homesick friend. Not so.  It was the adjacent neighbor on the other side of me.  He came by to complain about the noise.  No hello.  No introductions.  Just complaining.  Said his wife was in bed.  He would have gotten more sympathy if he said he had a baby trying to sleep.  Did he really think I wanted these guys here at that time of night? What was I supposed to do?  Send them away and ask them to return tomorrow? Not off to the best start with this fellow.  

Returning to my zen state of mind now.  Deep breaths.

Side note 2 - The guys did an incredible job of getting everything together in less than three hours.  Amazing!  It looks fantastic in here, if I must say so myself.  A mirror was broken that will be replaced in a couple of days.  Other than that, I'm good to go.

Side note 3 - I bought a drill today.  You think it's too late to drill baby drill?

I will be a good neighbor.
I will be a good neighbor.
I will be a good neighbor.

Thanks again for hanging with me for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment