Search This Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Reflections

Today was a day of reflection.

I continue to pinch myself and thank God when the reality sits in and I confirm, yes, all of these wonderful things are really happening.  When I celebrated my 55th birthday the first week of August, I had no idea that just over three months later, my life would be totally changed.

Who knew that growing up in an isolated environment would help me be comfortable with being alone.

That the major move when I went to college from Texas to Florida, again was helping me grow in independence.

That my 20 year marriage provided opportunities to move often and experience new things, living in seven different states, and being comfortable in new environments.  (Although it came to a flaming end, I've recently grown to appreciate the good in it.  It only took me a dozen years to get there.  Better late than never, right?).

That my love of teaching would help me grow in patience and understanding, especially in trying to reach kids who came from homes with limited English and those English speaking kids who came with a blank slate.  That experience was critical to my getting my current job.

That the responsibility of being site administrator and realizing that you must be a coach, cheerleader, mentor and teacher to the staff was critical to understanding what to do to bring out the best in others.  That experience at both my schools,  although extremely difficult at the last one, was life changing and helped me to grow.

That the seed that was planted by a teacher at Lincoln over ten years ago, that traveling the world alone as a woman was not only conceivable, but also safe, was just what I needed to feel I could do this.

I'm thankful for all of you who, in some way, played a part in my life thus far.  I believe every relationship and friendship helped to get me where I am today - in a great country, doing what I love, traveling and teaching.

My hope for you is that you, too, will see your greatest dreams come true.






No comments:

Post a Comment