Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

First Day at Work

Yes.  Today was the day.  My first day on the job.  My cluster manager picked me up at the hotel, so that I could get a grasp of where I was going.  Remember, there was no address to put in a GPS unit.  Actually, I was told that a mountain range that runs through the city is a great landmark.  Duly noted.  Also, count the roundabouts. Also noted.  Tomorrow will be the test.  I drive myself.  Wish me luck.

I need to be at school at 7:00, so that I'm there and settled for when the boys arrive at 7:30.  The school is co-ed, very unusual for this area, but the boys and girls never interact.  Girls start at 8:00.  Interesting set up, for sure.

The school reminds me of A Tale of Two Cities.  Here's why:

The building is brand new, and state of the art in many ways.  The architecture and landscaping is beautifully done.  All of the classrooms are completely made of glass, so that you can see in the classrooms from inside and outside.    The girls are on one side of the building, the boys the other.

The school is wired for the internet, but it just got connected yesterday.  Really.  All of the classrooms have smart boards, but they're still covered in plastic.  There are no phones in the classrooms.  Not sure how they communicate with each other.  By cell phones, actually, but the reception is not very good in the building, so it may be hours before the text messages are relayed.  

School climate:

I heard repeatedly how naughty the boys are.  I wondered, how bad could their behavior really be?  The last time I asked that question was when I was making the decision to take over Jed Smith, and we know how that turned out.  So, I'm going in hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.

The principal is well-respected in this organization and she seems to have a good team supporting her.  I'm the second of three VP's that will be in place when they're fully staffed.  The enrollment is just shy of 1100, but the way the building is designed, it has a small school feel to it.

The staff dress is very formal.  There are 60 teachers and they were all wearing abayas, except for three or four and they were in dresses to the floor.  I was in a dressy black pantsuit, but it was clear, slacks are not allowed.  First faux pas.  Note to self - buy more abayas.

I was expecting to be at school only a couple of hours, but the plans changed and I was there all day.  Of course, I didn't bring a lunch, and by the time I asked about purchasing one, lunchtime was over.  Note to self - keep snacks in your office. (Already purchased them after work today).  I hate getting a hungry headache.

Well, it was a good, long day and now it's bedtime.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're well on your way to be the valuable and efficient "director of everything".
    BTW, your videos turn out just fine. I can see you in a Farrari by this time next year!

    ReplyDelete