Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Second Look

Random Thoughts:

I wrote this entry this morning, but couldn't get online to send it.  I'm thrilled to report that I have WIRELESS Internet in my new place.  It was hooked up today.  I didn't think to take my laptop with me to take it for a spin, but I will tomorrow.  I move in on the 28th.  The last of my things will be delivered that day.  Can't wait!

Now for today's post:

Al Mauriji Village
My New Home
I know I mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. The Emirati men have the most groomed, well-kept beards I've ever seen.  In fact, I would go so far as to say they're sculptured, works of art.  I'm sure I am more in tuned to this because of the men that dominate my world - three brothers, no sisters, and two sons, no daughters.  If ever I get bold enough, I'm going to ask one of them to take his picture to show you what I mean.  Suffice it to say, the expertly trimmed beards lend an air of aristocracy on the wearer.

There are two dear friends in Sacramento that I'm reminded of often.  In fact, every time I'm on the road driving, I think of them.  Cathy W. and Deb M. are the most organized folks I know. I was told that the UAE government hired a Swiss firm to come in and create addresses for the country.  However, after working on it for a year, they found it impossible to master, and ditched the project.  I'd bet everything I own that Cathy and Deb would have this city organized with addresses in less than a week.

Speaking of Cathy and Deb - They're the ladies who helped me clean out my incredibly junky, filled-to-the-brim, garage (and house).  With every purchase I make now, I'm buying things with the thought of selling them a couple of years from now, just in case I'm on the move again.  You'll be happy to hear ladies, that I'm thinking as a minimalist, and as you know, that is a real stretch for me.

View of Al Mauriji Village
Driving Up
Getting back to the roads and driving again for a minute - now that I have the GPS, I'm totally dependent on it.  I struggled so much with trying to remember landmarks, now I'm letting the machine do all the work.  I'm hopeful, in time, I'll start to "see" the way the city is laid out in my head, and then I'll be able to make the connections so that it makes sense to me.  In the meantime, the GPS is helping to keep me sane. The fact that this country doesn't have addresses is a well-kep secret.  Someone, somewhere, should have shouted it from the rooftops.  In all of the travel books, and get-to-know the culture and the country books, no one mentioned this. Maybe, this little fact is kept under the radar because it might deter tourism. Mmmmmm.  Just a thought.

Community Room, Gym
& Rooftop Swimming Pool

Final word on traffic - I kept trying to figure out why it takes so long to get around the city.  I'm two miles from the nearest mall, but it takes about 15 minutes to get there. After timing it a couple of times to figure out what the deal is, I've concluded it's the roundabouts and speed bumps every quarter to a half mile.  The roundabouts are faster than sitting at a light, but navigating through them definitely takes time.  As far as the speed bumps go, I espouse to (my late brother) Terry's theory, which was the faster you go over them, the less you feel 'em.  Unfortunately, no one else got this message.

Fort Roundabout
Near the Hotel

Yesterday I saw a motorcycle left running on a curb.  It was a delivery cycle.  The pizza guys and other delivery guys ride motorcycles with a box on the back of the seat where another person would be riding.

Speaking of bikes, it has been extremely rare to see someone riding a plain old bike. I'm guessing it's for safety reasons.  As I've mentioned before, everyone takes a very laid bad approach to living, EXCEPT when they get behind a wheel.  Then it's on.  The question becomes, how fast can I get from point A to B.  I would say that at least 90% of the drivers I see on the road are men.  That explains it, right?

Flamingo (???) Roundabout

I don't think the word has gotten out here that smoking is bad for your health.  I'm surprised at how many folks I see smoking - young and old natives.  Interestingly, I've never seen a woman smoke, nor have I seen any of the laborers, those folks who are seen but not seen, that constitute the work force, smoking.

Intellectually, I know we're approaching the holidays, but for some reason, I'm not nearly as conscious of it.  In fact, I have to remind myself that Christmas is less than a week away.  Of course, this is a Muslim country, and as such, the folks don't celebrate Christmas.  The larger chain stores have Christmas trees up and decorations for sale, but it is extremely low key.  I'm grateful I did my Christmas shopping early while I was waiting around to depart.  Otherwise, it would have been easy to forget.  Thankfully, the churches I've attended are good reminders.

Finally, it's not unusual for folks to take a second look when they see me.  I think they're trying to figure out if I'm one of them.  Whatever "them" is.  Most of the folks who look like me are Arab, so I wonder if they think I'm just a wayward, haven't-figured-out-how-to-dress, sista.  Of course, when I open my mouth, I totally give it away and I'm recognized as just another expat.

OK.  Just one more thing - my curtains will be hung today.  It was arranged by the foreman of the apartment complex, which has a "side" job of taking care of the tenants.  All under the table, hush hush.  I love this guy.  More about him later.


No comments:

Post a Comment