Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

Shopping

One of Many Mosques
Today began in church.  It was not as big as the one I went to in Abu Dhabi, but it was still several hundred folks there at the second service.  Thankfully, it is located next to a hospital, so it was easy to find.

Both of these churches were filled with expats from around the globe.  One of my most respected teachers is a member there.  She is from South Africa.  I met her husband, daughter and nephew.  The pastor was down to earth and funny.  It's a place of worship that would work for me, but I think I'll take this time that I have off to visit others, and then make a decision.

From there, I went back home, gave my neighbors a lift to the store, and went to my new apartment to meet the cable guys.  They didn't come with a wireless modem, so I sent them packing.  Having wireless internet that works consistently is a must. The spotty service in the hotel has been aggravating.  Below is a picture of one of the companies that provide Internet services.  The blue fence in front is one the median and goes on for a while.  It is very pretty.

Etisalat Building
(Cable, Phone & Internet Provider)
I'm still waiting on my housing allowance, but it was confirmed that we all got paid yesterday, so I went shopping for a refrigerator, stove, washer/dryer combo, and everything else you need to set up a home.  I surprised myself by buying the kitchen stuff first.  Dishes, glasses, flatware, pots and pans.  If I ever decide to cook, I'll be ready.

Side note - There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of middle ground relative to the ages of folks who work for ADEC.  They're either brand new teachers between 25-30 and more seasoned folks my age.  One of the young ones is a friend who is very homesick.  I believe she's in my world for a reason, but she's looking at the glass half empty and I choose not to.  It's a personal choice that everyone has to make. There is something I could be complaining about every day - the country with no addresses, the bureaucracy, etc.  Come to think about it, I have gripped and complained about these things, but I choose to live my life dwelling on all of the wonderful things that are happening instead.  I hope I can encourage her to do the same.  Don't get me wrong, I miss you guys, but I'm not homesick.  I believe I'm where I'm supposed to be, doing what I'm supposed to do.  And so there's a peace in me that I'm thankful for.

Side note 2 - Christopher Hitchens died today.  He was a columnist at Vanity Fair and he had a brilliant mind.  I rarely agreed with him, but I loved hearing him defend his position.  He was British, so all of his arguments came with that biting, sharp, British wit.  I was introduced to him when I saw him on Real Time with Bill Maher several years ago.  RIP Mr. Hitchens.

Below you will see one of my favorite landmarks in the city - this clock.  It keeps the correct time and the hands on it light up at night.  It's located on the corner of a busy intersection, and today was the first day I had a red traffic light, giving me time to take the photo.

Clock

Side note 3 - My new GPS has been a lifesaver!  I did get lost again trying to find my apartment, so that I could save it.  After about 45 minutes of running around, I flagged a Taxi and asked the driver to lead the way there.  He had to make a call to confirm where it was, but then we were on our way.  Once there, I saved the location, but didn't trust it, so I left, drove a few blocks and set it to find HOME! Thankfully it did, with no problem.

Let me leave you with this - No matter where you are in life, choose to be thankful.


1 comment:

  1. Lots of chuckles from yesterday's driving. I, too, am directionally challenged, so I can identify. I absolutely agree with your ending quote. We are where we are for the lessons we need to learn ... or to teach others.
    You are the quintessential administrator, looking to build bridges wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete