Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mission Impossible


My intentions were to stay close to home today, and catch up on some much needed rest. Instead, I was out of the door early and gone most of the day.


There is an issue with my yet to arrive ID Card that required my having to visit the lady who was slow as molasses in creating some necessary document when I first arrived in Al Ain and I was trying to get my driver's license.  I waited about a half hour before she would deal with me and my issue because if she looked up my info, she would loose what she was working on.  Was there no way to save it?  Anyway, she needed to call someone, the line was busy, then they just didn't answer.  After waiting about an hour and a half, I got the verdict.  It seemed I already had an ID application in the works, from some form I completed while I was in Abu Dhabi.  You would think the system would have prevented me for even applying for another one, right?  Not so.  Of course, I didn't realize I was applying for the same document. Long story short, I told the lady I'd come back to find out what the solution will be. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd still be sitting in this office, waiting and waiting and waiting some more.  I went back at the end of the day, but it was locked tight.  Mañana.  Mañana.  Not sure what the Arabic version of this is.

When I left there I was starving, and noticed a Pizza Hut in the next block.  I stopped, ordered a personal size pizza and a salad.  This store had the same domed cover on the salad bar as the one in Abu Dhabi.  I'm convinced they have the best salad in the UAE.

This country is a desert and very little grows here besides palm dates.  So, everything - food staples, for sure - is imported.  As a result, fruits and vegetables are not always the best looking.  Meat either.  In fact, the raw chicken in the frozen sections oftentimes has a grey tint to it.  That can't be good.  The upside for me is that this is not something I would usually buy anyway, but still.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen frozen dinners since I've been in the country.  Since everything else is slow and methodical, there's no rush to make a quick dinner. These folks take their time cooking and eating.

Speaking of eating, there's a local version of fast food where they sells something that fascinates me.  In fact, I intended to go by tonight and ask them to take a picture of it.  I hope you're able to visualize it from my crude description.  The name of it is shawerma and it tastes great.

There are two spears hanging down, each with chicken that is packed tight.  It is layers and layers of boneless chicken.  This speared meat stands about three feet tall and is next to an open flame.  The cook turns the spear so that the meat cooks evenly.  Once done, he shaves off slices of meat and serves it on a pita-like bread.  It looks like a pita, but is coarser and stiffer.  He stuffs the meat in the bread, adds two or three french fries, pickles and garlic (which I ask him to omit).  He then twists the top so the ingredients don't fall out.  When completed, it's about the size of a hot dog.  It's very tasty.  The second spear holds chicken also, but it's the the red-tinted spicy version.  Haven't tried that yet.

I've only seen one drive thru eating establishment since I arrived in the country. Their version of a drive through is this - one of their workers stands outside and when someone drives up wanting food, they toot the horn and this guy takes their order and their money and returns with their food.  This scene just keeps repeating itself over and over again.

Later this afternoon, I went to the movies to see Mission Impossible 4:  Ghost Protocol.  Typical action movie.  Bad guys must be stopped.  Our guy is the only one to do it.  They fight.  Chase each other.  Fight some more.  Followed by an even faster, crazier chase.  On and on.  Not my cup of tea usually, but I wanted to see it because parts of it was filmed in Dubai.  It's worth the price of admission just for the view of the city.  Amazing aerial shots.

Did I mention it was in English?  Normally it takes a minute for a new movie to be released here, but I'm guessing because of the great publicity for the city and the country, it opened the same day here as in the states.  Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

Next, I stopped by Bath and Body Works because this mall is the only one that features this store.  I stocked up on the sweet smelling stuff and headed back home.

Before I left home though, I took pictures of the place and realized that it has a close resemblance to a brothel.  In fact, the only thing missing is a neon sign.  I've got the perfect spot for it, too.  I noticed several stores that sell beaded room dividers, so some red beads would be easy to get, too.

Of course, it was not my intention to create that kind of dwelling, but the strong resemblance is undeniable.

You decide.  (The pictures are in the order you would see things if you were walking through the apartment).

Guest Bath - 1st thing on your left when you walk in

Entryway - Bowl for keys/cabinet for purse
Kitchen
Kitchen 2

Kitchen 3
Cute Little Stove (Cooker)


Washer/Dryer Combo - Works great!

Dining Room contains sofa bed and desk.  This room was supposed to be the Living Room, but it's not well-lit.  Window faces a wall.
Coffee Urn & Serving Cart = Unique to this country and variations of it can be found in every office.

Sofa Bed
         Desk
Master Bedroom




Infamous Curtains - Yes, they're red.





Closet - sits next to wall


Living Room - Was supposed to be Master Bedroom, but the lighting in here is wonderful, so I made the switch.


Living Room 2



This concludes the tour folks.  What do you think?  Brothel, right?  

No, it's just home.  







2 comments:

  1. Faye... I love it!!!! Love it! Merry Christmas ... Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absoluely love it - and especially the red curtains!!!

    ReplyDelete