Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

New Home

I was so excited to start work, I forgot to mention I have a new home.  Not sure when I'll be moving in (waiting on a furniture allowance), but it's nice to know where it is and what it looks like, relative to shopping for it.

I had the option of being assigned a place or go out looking for one myself.  I opted for the assigned apartment.  It just saves me a ton of headaches.  Once I know the city better, then I'll consider a move closer to my school, if that's possible.

The apartment is in a new complex that opened in October, so I'll be the first tenant. It houses other folks from this program, which I think might be helpful.  It will be about 30 minutes from work, as opposed to 45 minutes now.  (More about today's adventure on the road in a minute).  It is completely empty - no refrigerator, stove, microwave - nothing.  So, I'll be shopping for everything.

Now for my day at work.

It began early.  I left home at 6:00, allowing myself an hour to get there.  Thank God for the presence of mind to do that because I was lost for at least 15 minutes.

The plan to follow the mountain didn't work because it was foggy.  I couldn't see it.  I kept loosing count of the roundabouts, so counting them didn't work either.

I was given another landmark though.  Look out for the camel crossing, then you know you're on the right track.  Did I mention I saw camels crossing the first day?

Side note - Camels are very graceful animals.  They remind of a woman in stilettos who is comfortable wearing heels and walks with style and ease.

Speaking of camels, there was one that was lying down in the back of a pick-up truck that passed me today, and every now and then, he would lift his head.  I wanted so much to take a picture, but I dared not take my hands off the wheel.

Side note 2 - The roundabouts typically have three lanes of traffic going around them.  The folks on the right yield, and you race in quick when there's a lull.

Once I got to school, things went well.

I headed straight over to the boys' section to see for myself what all the fuss was about in reference to their behavior.  There were less than 10 students in the only class with kids.  We're on minimum days, and I'm told the kids usually don't bother coming.  The class that I observed had some shout outs, but nothing crazy was going on.

Did I mention that the two faculty heads are African-American women?  One is from Texas, not sure about the other, although she has been in the Middle East for 10 years and she speaks and reads Arabic.  Good feeling about both of them.  They, too, seem to be well-respected by the staff.

Side note 3 - I signed up for an Arabic Class with one of them, beginning in January.

Side note 4 - One of the ladies pulled me aside and told me it's customary to buy a gift for the principal when you arrive.  There's also Bar-B-Q tomorrow, and a gift exchange.

I arrive home at 6:30, after getting lost again, and after going by the mall to purchase these presents and to get my lights and Internet turned on.  I love the way you are able to take care all of your business in the malls here.  The bank in this mall is open until 10:00pm.  It's one stop shopping, for sure.

Once I arrived home, I had homework.  I needed to memorialize the meeting we had today, and publish an agenda for one that is forthcoming.

For those of you who know me from a work setting, you know I'm a stickler for starting and ending meetings on time, and I won't call a meeting just to chew the fat. If there's nothing to share or discuss, we won't meet.  Today's meeting began on time, but it went on and on and on, for almost two hours!  All that we accomplished could have been done in 30 minutes . . . max, and that's with time for discussion. Much of the reason it took so long was culturally based.  No one was in a hurry, even at the end of the day.

Note to self - take deep breaths and smile a lot.

Side note 5 - Speaking of smiling, I was told to smile and greet everyone (ladies only) with a handshake.

Faux pas 2 - I extended my hand to the school security guard and shouldn't have. When he didn't reach for mine, I knew I'd blown it.  Women do not shake hands with men in this country.

Side note 6 - Most of the Arab women at work cover their faces when men are around, and some keep themselves covered all the time.  It's not easy identifying folks by the eyes, or by the foot ware.  Hopefully I'll recognize their walks soon.

I have to go to bed to be ready for tomorrow.

I can't complain at all about the long days.  I've had plenty of fun times since I've been here, waiting to be processed.  We're paid from the time we enter the country, so now I'm earning it.

For those of you who have commented on the blog or via email, thanks a bunch. It's great hearing from you.




4 comments:

  1. I hope you are having as much fun as I am reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye, Willie Mae and Olga went to dinner tonight with Olga, Sandy and Mr. Miles. You were the topic of conversation. Wishing you were here. Glad things are working out for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Ray, I'm absolutely loving it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my Nicholas Family - I think of you often. Can you imagine all of us on a road trip over here? It would be a hoot! No, on second thought - we'd probably all get kicked out of the country. Thanks for keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete