Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2011

Ethiopian Church

My day began with a marvelous experience in an Ethiopian Church.

The church where I was headed is housed in a building attached to a hospital. There are at least three different rooms and three different congregations that are having church simultaneously.  I was headed to the church I went to last week, but accidentally walked in the Ethiopian Church.  Immediately I felt welcome, but figured the language would be a barrier.  A lovely usher guided me to a seat about midway up the aisle, and then asked if I was looking for the English church.  I said I was, but really loved what I was feeling here.

So, rather reluctantly, I followed her to the right door and entered the other church.  I saw my South African teacher, and sat down in preparation for the service to start. But something was drawing to the Ethiopian Church.  There was a freedom of worship that I knew wouldn't be evident in this one, so I ditched the English church and went to the Ethiopian one.

It was a small sanctuary.  Seated about 100 folks.  Most were women.  There were about a dozen men.  Three of the men were church leaders - leading in song, making announcements and introductions and the main speaker.  I think the man who spoke was a guest speaker.  This gathering is the most black folk that I've seen in the UAE.

The resemblances that some of the folks had to people I know was uncanny.  The speaker had a striking resemblance to Beau Williams, the gospel singer.  One of the women looked like Betty, my best friend from home.  Another guy looked just like Steve, Mrs. B's son.  It was uncanny how I could see so many folks from my world in the faces of this congregation.

They were speaking a language I couldn't understand, but every now and then I recognized them saying Jesus (pronounced like the Hispanics with an "H" sound), Alleluia and Amen.  Many years ago I remember someone said that Alleluia was universal, recognized in every language.

They were singing/chanting/humming a beautiful song - everyone in motion, not simultaneous motion - but moving to their own rhythm.  They didn't care what the person next to them or around them was saying or doing, they were in their own world of worship.

Again, I could not understand them, and yet I continued to be drawn into the service, mesmerized by their freedom of praise.

They transitioned to another song with a faster rhythm, with everyone clapping along, but they weren't clapping when you would expect them to, in sync with the drums.  And yet, this song, too, was beautiful.

After the singing, there was announcement, I think, then the introduction of the speaker.  If he was their Pastor, he wouldn't have been introduced, I don't think. Anyway, I loved this guy.  I couldn't understand what he was saying, but the cadence of the message was familiar.  He was very soft spoken, then he'd get loud, he'd tell a joke, then whisper, and back to a normal tone.  He used call and response, a lot.  He had the people in the palm of his hands.

What was evident to me today, is that charm is universal, too.  This man was charismatic, engaging and charming.  I thought so and couldn't understand what he was saying.  I can't imagine how so much more powerful it was for the folks following along with him.

I continued to listen intently.  He spoke about 45 minutes, when he abruptly stopped, and everyone booked out of there.  You would have thought it was a fire. They were probably making way for another service.  We all moved outside to a common breezeway where the other congregants from the English church were milling about.  The folks from the Ethiopian church moved to another building, maybe a fellowship hall.  I didn't go because I had promised to give a ride to a friend and her young girls and they were ready to go.

Next time I'll go see what happens next with the Ethiopians.  It was an incredible experience that I would enjoy again.

Side note - Respectfully, I saw more women with booties today, than any other time since I've been here.  Very shapely women.  Jennifer Lopez would have felt right at home.

Side note 2 - My VP friend that I took home lives in a fabulous villa.  It's a two-home compound across the sheet from the Emirati who owns the property.  It is a magnificent home.  Eight bedrooms, and four full baths.  Maid quarters.  Marble everywhere.  Light fixtures that sparkle.  It was absolutely gorgeous!  It is located in a fabulous residential area, where the homes make the McMansions in the US look like miniature doll houses.  These homes were massive!  HUGE!  All surrounded by fort-like fences, but enough gates were open to see many of the homes and go WOW!

Side note 3 - A Maybach passed me on the road today.  It was one of the cars featured in Sex and City 2, which was filmed on location in Abu Dhabi.

Side note 4 - It is an impressive sight seeing men of all nationalities trekking to the mosques for services.  They come from all corners of the area, heading to the nearest mosque.  You can hear the call to prayer all over this city, too.

Side note 5 - Some men wear skirts.  They look Indian or maybe from Bangladesh.  I haven't seen any work in skirts, but rather you see them when they're lounging around out front of their building or going to the corner market.

Side note 6 - This is definitely a hierarchical society headed by the Emirati.  Everyone seems to know who's in charge.  There's not the parting of the sea, but almost, when an Emirati shows up.

Fascinating place.

More soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment