Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Things I Like

I'll get to the things I like in a minute, but first let me touch on something I don't like. I promise I will keep a positive attitude throughout, but I just have to say this - I don't like milk.  Never have.  I'm lactose intolerant, so the fact that I'm not fond of it is OK.  However, since arriving here, I've had a taste for it on cereal, especially at night.  But here's what happened:  Twice.  TWICE.  I poured milk on a bowl of cereal to discover as I was pouring it that it wasn't skim milk, but buttermilk!  YUCK! SUPER YUCK!  Note to self - pay attention to the labels.  Funny thing, if this had happened when I first got here, it would have made more sense that I would screw up a purchase.  After scores of shopping excursions, and plenty of milk purchases, you'd think I would have gotten it.  Not so.

OK, now that that's off my chest, let me share the things I like.

The hoses in the bathrooms.  They are magical.



The Hose!
(The pictures I've included are from my hotel room, but they're the same in my apartment.  I'll take pictures there when my furniture arrives).

The virtually instant water boiler.  Takes about 30 seconds for the pot of water to boil.



Water Boiler


Actually, this next thing isn't something I like necessarily, it's just different from what I'm used to.  That is, the switch that must be turned on for the socket to work. I don't know if that means every socket has it's own fuse, or what.  Note that most of the sockets are the three-prong ones like we have on our washers and dryers. The other kind is a two prong one, with rounded prongs.  It is usually found in the bathrooms.  The three prong ones have flat, kind of square prongs.


Typical Socket

I burned out my hair dryer first thing when I arrived.  I used an adaptor to plug it in, but the dryer got super hot.  Too much juice coming from the wall?  I don't know.  It wasn't safe to use it, so I chucked it.

The last pictures are of the closet.  This one is built in , but most just set against the wall.  They're big, taking up most of the wall.  This one has cupboards that reach the ceiling.  I assume you can store things up there, but you need something to stand on.



Closet


Opened Closet

Side note - Forrest suggested, and I agreed, that my new wireless router should be named.  He's Tyrone.  I spent some quality time with him today, catching up on TV shows.  It was a joy watching them without the constant interruption of weak or lost signals.

Side note 2 - I used to watch a ton of TV.  That decreased drastically when I moved into the hotels in Sacramento.  They had different cable systems.  I didn't know when anything came on regularly because I TiVo'd everything.  I think it was a weening off, if you will, in preparation for living here, since seeing a live American show is rare. Interestingly, I scrolled through channels and have seen the Today show at night. It was live, but with the nine hour time difference from the East Coast, it was night here when it broadcasted live there.  So, I probably haven't watched three hours of TV since arriving in the UAE.  I purchased a TV with Western programming, but so far everything is still in Arabic.  I know watching TV is a great way to learn the language, so I'll probably keep a couple of Arab channels, but I'm hoping to get the Western channels soon.

Side note 3 - A dear friend just read my previous post, and reminded me that I forgot to mention, and to be thankful for, my health.  So very true.  None of this would be possible if I as in poor health, so yes, thank God I am well.  Actually, my little homesick friend has been sick since she arrived in this country.  Bronchitis progressed to pneumonia.  She's seen a doctor a couple of times, and is much better.  So, yes - I'm incredibly grateful for my good health.

Side note 4 - It's a very chilly 57 degrees outside this morning.  You need a light jacket for sure.  It'll w
arm up to about 75 by mid-day.


Side note 5 - Having breakfast at my new place.  It didn't make much sense filling the refrigerator and cupboards in the hotel just to move it again in a few days. Besides, sipping coffee and writing to you in my new home is a pleasant way to start the day.  


Side note 6 - I'm especially thankful for family and friends, too.  


Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment