Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Riding in Style

The school buses here are awesome!  They're like a touring bus.  They've got comfortable bucket seats, they're air conditioned with large windows so even the smallest kinder can see out of them.  They stopped where the city bus stops dropping off students in the same area.  I couldn't tell if they drop off in neighborhoods, too.

All of the students I've seen were in uniforms.

I met another ADEC teacher and her family as they were moving out of the hotel to their assigned city and school, which is where I'll be, about an hour and a half away. One of those cruiser-looking buses picked them up, along with about 10 other teachers.  This couple was from Columbia, South Carolina, which is one of the places we lived for three years.  In fact, that's where Frankie was born - small world, right?  This is one of the two teachers I observed with kids.  Two boys ages 4 and 8. What an adventure for them!  Her husband was the technology administrator for his district and is looking to work here, as well.

The first ADEC teacher I spoke with today was traveling with a teenage son and they had been here in this hotel a month, too, waiting to be assigned.  Thank God I'm way past dealing with those teenage surly years.  What a chore!

Side note - I've been forgetting to mention the cigarettes.  There are two packs of cigarettes in my room, along with other refreshments - cookies, candies, juice, etc. - from the bar.  Interesting because it's a no smoking room.  I think the buildings might all be non-smoking because I see guys taking smoke breaks outside.   Actually, the guy who runs the little market that I shop at smokes in there, so maybe not.

This was a decidedly slower day after all of the running around yesterday.

The city is in full holiday/party mood.  There was a car in the parking lot decorated with the usual streamers, flags and feathers - all in the flag's colors.  I didn't have my phone, so no picture.  Sorry.  It was a sight to see.  They're a patriotic bunch, for sure.  The government is good to her citizens, so I understand the affinity.

Side note 2 - Bidets. The extra toilet-looking things found in bathrooms in other countries is not present here, but a bidet hose is mounted next to the regular toilet instead.  Best thing since sliced bread.

On that note, goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment